Sheldon Cm 56

Mark,

He is motivated to sell. Thanks.

More machines to the orphanage,.....

I am getting more work to do muzzle threading for flash hiders and courtesy devices, I am hopeful this would suffice at leat for these jobs; simple facing, turning, and theading that I can leave the cutters in place after initial setup. Of course a dedicated chambering set up is ideal, but will settle for just muzzle threading. It has a 5C closer and I have a full set of Lynden collects, the lathe should be good for some other small piece repetitive work.

Be nice to own an American iron

Nez

Last edited:
Gents,

I got it for 8 and a chambering job. Will pick it up tomorrow. It will be fun running this lathe. Another learning to do.

Nez

Screenshot_20170119-223847.png I found a page in their 1960s sales brochure. It looks like the CM56 has some nice spec.

Bambam,

my apology for not tuning earlier, I've been on the road most of the week, just now reading the thread. I think you got a sweet deal for 8 Franklins! I'm not real familiar with that turret setup, but I bet that was purchased from Hardinge and adapted to the lathe. If that is so, that setup is equivalent to a HV model Hardinge lathe. At least I think it is. Others can correct me on this if I'm wrong. It is air operated. When indexed, the turret is slightly lifted, indexed, and set back down and locked in place. Compressed air is used to keep stray stuff from getting up under the turret. The turret is fixed to the centerline of the spindle. I doubt there is any way of adjusting it. But, the bolt on tool holders should give you a way to adjust for sideway alignment.

Ken

EDIT: Correction on my post above. The turret has cross slide movement. It is not fixed as I noted above. As for a stop to put you on center, I bet there is a stop that can be set for that.
Also make sure you get the 5C collet piece that fits in the headstock spindle. Its shown in the picture sitting in the chip pan under the QCGB.

Ken

Last edited by a moderator:
Back