Sheldon Cm 56

Bamban

Active User
H-M Supporter Gold Member
Saw this in a local CL. It looks rigid for its size. You guys have any experience with theseach lathes. Could this possibly be used to cut tenon, thread and chamber a barrel feeding with the turret? Never seen a turret lathe to have any opinion on precision and repeatability. Can't seem to find any information anywhere about this particular one.

20161226_155841.jpg 20161226_155847.jpg 20161228_185724.jpg

20161228_185724.jpg

Well, that one has a lead screw, which most do not. That would sure make it more versatile. It is still short and does not have a tailstock, so no work between centers, though the turret will be able to partially substitute for the tailstock. If you are doing barrel work, the spindle hole size will be an important question.

Thanks, Bob. I was thinking just tenon work only. I can do the contouring on the 1236 or even the 1024 for shorter barrels. You are right the bore diameter must be established.

Has D-1 4" spindle mount which means it has a 1-3/8" spindle thru bore. Sheldon like many other machine tool manufactures built special purpose lathes for doing certain operations like this one is set up to do. Serial number puts it in the early to mid 1960's.

Also notice the turret looks very familiar to the Harlingen style that uses the bolt on tool holders. If it is, tooling is available.

4GSR,

Thank you. In their new condition aee turret lathes typically used for precision work?

4GSR,

Thank you. In their new condition aee turret lathes typically used for precision work?
They can do precision work. I won't say it would be as good as a real Hardinge would be, but close!
I notice the lathe has a gap cut out on the bed. I wonder if that is original or someone did that over the years. I don't recall ever seeing that in any of the Sheldon literature I have or on the Sheldon yahoo group. Might be worthwhile to post that over on the Sheldon yahoo group. Old John Knox may know something about that lathe. Ken.

Edit: One thing I forgot to mention. The handwheels used on this lathe were the ones found only on the R series lathes, which were made in the 13, 15, and 17 in swings. Be nice if you could get some more pictures and post. Ken

Nez, I have John York's email if you need it. Ulma Doctor does as well. John is very knowledgeable from living machining for quite a few decades, and his knowledge is on a really wide swath of subjects from a wide range of experience. He is also a member on this group, user name benmychree, but I don't know how often he logs on.

I am trying to arrange a trip to San Antonio to look at the lathe. Waiting on the seller's response.

Thank you all for the help, I should have more questions once I get to see the machine.

I am fascinated with turret lathes, if they were precise and repeatable enough, I would think they would make excellent dedicated lathe for barrel tenon work; turning, threading, drillIing, boring, and finish chambering.

Last edited:
Just now realized you're close to me. If you need a second opinion and someone else to take a look at the lathe, let me know, I'll be glad to go out of my way to help. There's no way I'll be able to do anything this week, but maybe the following week or even on a weekend. Just send me a PM. Ken

Back