Sheldon Compound Gib For An 11x36

Gene1934

Registered
Registered
Attempting to do some work on this lathe yesterday, discloses that the compound ways have a rather large amount of play.

Investigating to see if the gibs, which appear to be tapered, could be snugged up found a very limited range of push pull available. Perhaps an eighth of an inch total.

disassembling the adjuster screws I found what appear to be home made gib pushers, with one of them having no projection of the finger to push the end of the gib beyond the position of the screw is tight against the pusher which is bottomed in the hole. And it appears that some of the casting has been broken away, and that the gib itself is at least 1/2" short over all.

So, question is: are these three parts available, or should I try to go ahead and use it since in the long run, it will be removed as I CNC this lathe. CNC can program moves that render the compound into a tool holder platform that wiggles when you don't want it to, its motion capabilities are not needed. I have a big block of cast iron to make its bolt on replacement at some point in the future after I get the motors and new ball screws installed, and can actually run it with LinuxCNC.

Parts are not readily available, eBay is the best source for used parts. I purchased a carriage/compound a while back for parts off of eBay. If converting to CNC, might just fix it enough to use it.

Parts are not readily available, eBay is the best source for used parts. I purchased a carriage/compound a while back for parts off of eBay. If converting to CNC, might just fix it enough to use it.

Humm, sounds as it I may as well see if I can make the pusher gizmos. OTOH, I have not managed to remove the dial to see if that is how it can be separated since the screw will not back out thru the nut, and zero access to the far end of the nut can be obtained without pushing it fwd, withdrawing the shaft after the handle etc have been removed. As for fixing it up, I have the spindle bearings to zero lash, and I have a ball screw about 25% built and assembled for the crossfeed drive. roller thrust washers for the front shaft of the crossfeed arrived yesterday, along with a much larger set to serve as the bearing the collect drawtube will pull against,

I've about 5 projects going all at the same time, working on this or that as the materials get rounded up. Then I had to let it all lay and get on the rider to see if I could find the place and it puked. That's when I found the engine is so old they don't make the exact spark plug anymore. 12.5 HP B&S, runs good when it runs but that Craftsman 38" rider was new in 1972. Champion has a washered replacement plug where the OEM is a miniature taper seat. I guess its alright, it runs. )

One final Q though, if I have to make a gib, whats the taper per foot normally used in these old coots? A length of .250" x 0.500" A2 ought to be able to be ground to the right shape. I'd have to order it, but heck, the whole world is on back order I guess. 'twouldn't be the first time in my 81 years.

Thanks.

One final Q though, if I have to make a gib, whats the taper per foot normally used in these old coots? A length of .250" x 0.500" A2 ought to be able to be ground to the right shape. I'd have to order it, but heck, the whole world is on back order I guess. 'twouldn't be the first time in my 81 years.

Thanks.
Gene,
I have no idea on the gib. I will dig through my junk room and pull the compound. Do you have any photos of your compound to make sure we are on the same page?

Gene,
I have no idea on the gib. I will dig through my junk room and pull the compound. Do you have any photos of your compound to make sure we are on the same page?

Not ATM, but if I don't forget it, I have a handy Nikon L-100 under foot here someplace. I take it I can upload the pix file(s) with the button beside the "post reply" and it stays linked to the message? Or I can put it up on my own web page and post the URL. Probably tomorrow afternoon after I get some honeydo's done. Thanks a bunch.

Or I can put it up on my own web page and post the URL. Probably tomorrow afternoon after I get some honeydo's done. Thanks a bunch.

You can put it on your page and use the image icon (beside the smilie face) to post the URL of the image. It will show up here.

OK. That worked. But you just added one more reason to the list of reasons not to do photos or files this way.

Back