Sheldon Em-56 P Lathe

ebgb68

Active User
Registered
Hello Guys I been looking for a lathe for about a year and have not found what I'm looking for . A couple weeks ago I mentioned to my gunsmith I was looking for a lathe and he said he had an extra for sale .
This Sheldon is wired and running in his barn we ran it but didn't do any cutting. It seems to be a tight machine he bought it from a local school they robbed parts off it for other machines. He brought it home located the missing parts and has used it some . The only issue I saw was the carriage had marks from hitting the chuck.
His price is 1200 with some tooling . The price seems fair from what I've looked at and I know he with help me getting started doing barrel work.
As far as a gunsmith lathe do you this lathe this will work ? The spindle bore is 1.400 and it will handle 36 " material . Heres a picture of the machine below. I found one list on ebay with the same cabinet here http://www.ebay.com/itm/Sheldon-13x30-Lathe-/231601927919?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item35ec8cf6ef
Thanks Ed
20150622_130659_zpsqdterkjq.jpg

Ed,
Looks like you found a great lathe for a good proce. I have an old Sheldon the same size but a few years older than yours. I used it for many years doing gun work and yes it will work well. There is a Sheldon users group over on Yahoo and there is some great contacts on that site. Enjoy.

Scott

Thanks Scott The Yahoo group is hard to navigate I will figure it out. I'm beyond excited to pick this lathe up on Friday. Have you ever turned barrel what extras would I need to turn blanks ?
I have a lot of training time to get up to speed just putting my Christmas list together. :D

Well got her home safely kinda reminded me when I drove both my daughters home after they were born. Was surprised at how much tooling came with it the seller a friend gave me everything to get started. I just need another wrecker and VFD to get going.
20150703_121708_zpsojmydt0l.jpg
20150703_140403_zpscbepdqam.jpg

Back