Sheldon EXL-46B Shop Lathe - Texas

Looks like its been stored outside for a few years. Good parts machine.

else a whole lota elbow grease... (and rust removing...)

I don't mean to say it couldn't be put back in setvice, but personally I would want to buy it at scrap price. You could always recoup the cost with a few parts sold.

What's get me is why did the county maintenance bar have a lathe for? Generally, anybody that works for the county road and maintenance department that I've seen, fixes and repairs things with a cutting torch, air grinder, welder and that's about it. Anything else, workers are not allowed to touch it or don't know what it is. My brother in law works for the county road and maintenance, I'll have to ask him if they have any stuff like this laying around.

When I worked for the county equipment shop, we had a full machine shop, and did a lot of that work in house. We had a large vertical mill and lathe, among other stuff. I ran the tool crib as well as my other duties as a parts guy. Of course, most of the work was mechanical truck, car, and machinery repair, on and off road. Lots of welding, fabricating, building up worn buckets, grousers, dump beds, garbage truck hoppers, etc. with hard facing rod as well. We rebuilt diesel engines, too. Of course, that was 30-40 years ago.

Probably rusted from all the salt stored on and near it. That stuff is murder on any metal even aluminum gets eaten by it.

Back