Sheldon Exl-56b - "fixer Upper" Is There Any Hope, Doctor?

As they say "been there and done that" (I hate that saying)

I bought my 13" Sheldon for $650 (sound familiar) and while it didnt have quite the rust yours has, it was a wreck condition wise! It had a very unusual under drive that Mr Knox over on the yahoo site called the "walking stick drive" (you've GOT to get joined up over there, Mr Knox is an encyclopedia on Sheldons) Heres a link to a write up on it on Tonys website

http://www.lathes.co.uk/sheldon/page8.html

Lemme pause here and say that I do have some rust experience - I bought a 13" South Bend and a 10" Emco
that had gone thru hurricane Katrina and sat for some 5 years and they were BAD, the ways were at least as bad as yours and probably worse. I'm still using the SB after 6 yrs now and even with the pitted ways (oil holders) the lathe performs like a dream. Seriously, its pretty doubtful the pits will affect the operation of the lathe - now wear is a different story. I mainly use media (sand) blasting for my clean ups, along with LOTs of elbow grease - 3M pads, wire wheels etc .

As you are finding out, there is a ton of work in reclaiming one of these but you can never figure your time in them, you have to do it out of the love and appreciation of seeing a fine old piece (ole merican arn!) like this come back to life. My hobby is finding these old jewels and doing just that, I had some $1500 money in my Sheldon and I sold it for $2500 after 30mins on Craig list, then got some 4-5 other calls (as the fella was coming to pick it up a guy offered me 3000 if I would let him have it!!) I greatly agonized over whether to sell the SB or the Sheldon, I really liked the Sheldon, but in the end the newer model SB with the enclosed gearbox won out,

I suspect that your Sheldon being ex military will have negligible wear - my SB was off a Coast Guard ship and apparently had very little use. You are right in figuring on needing to replace the dials, I've replaced them on every lathe I've rebuilt. As you said those tiny little dials need to be replaced anyway.

Have Fun!!

SheldonClausing013.jpg
Sheldonfinished001.jpg

Pacer,

I can only hope for before and after pictures as profound as yours. With two other lathes, this Sheldon will indeed end up on Craigslist someday. One thing it will do my other two can't; metric threads, as it has the metric thread attachment. Thank you for the words of encouragement! I need 'em!

Ray

Thank you for posting those couple of pictures for me! It looks much easier to dismantle than I thought. I am going to have to take mine apart and fix the locking mechanism. Thanks again.

That's such a shame. I have the same lathe except I'm not as lucky as you to have all of the attachments. If you ever give up on this project, I've seen a taper attachment, steady and follower rest, and a metric gear set sell for a good buck. The guy sold a whole lathe basically and he did alright. You could make your money back and then some. But good for you for saving this lathe. I have a soft spot for these since they were made in Chicago. I think that's pretty cool.

Thanks for the kind words, Dozer! Yep, my "Plan B" is to part out the lathe....matter of fact, that was Plan A as soon as I saw the lathe in person on the day I picked it up.

Ray

Update:

The thread dial is (was) hopelessly pitted and unreadable. Before:

Thread%20Dial%20Before_zpswxolxnvy.jpg

I've faced the dial off down to unpitted metal and have rescribed. (Based on a tutorial by Mr Pete222)

Here's the scribing done.

Sheldon%20Thread%20Dial%20Makeover%20002_zpsbfusvd6h.jpg

The dial is held in a collet following being faced on my South Bend Heavy 10. I unplugged the lathe and would rotate the chuck around to eyeball the witness marks for the existing graduations, then drop the lathe into back gear to prevent undesired rotation of the work. "Prime" marks for the whole numbers got two full turns on the cross slide, which on a Heavy 10 is two tenths of an inch. Only one turn for the between marks. The scribing is being done by a piece of HSS shaped into a V, turned on it's side.

Ray

Last edited:
Through the miracle of electrolysis:
Before:
Sheldon%20EXL56B%20Lathe%20034_zpsbmghlctz.jpg

After:
Sheldon%20EXL56B%20Lathe%20003_zpsfks251ui.jpg

Compound and cross slide dials are unreadable...my intention is to either turn them down and fit PVC sleeves which will then be scribed, or, replace them with off the shelf dials. Or, make new ones full stop. We'll see.

Ray

Back