Sheldon Gearmotor Possible Replacement

projectnut

Registered
Registered
I posted this message to the Yahoo Sheldon Group, and thought it might be of some interest to Sheldon owners here:

As some of you know I have a 1960 Sheldon MW-56-P lathe. This lathe uses a push button activated gearmotor to change spindle speeds. The gear motor opens and closes the sheaves on a model 3B Worthington All Speed drive connected to the spindle connected by a series of belts .

To this point there has been no known replacement motor for this drive. That being said there is currently a listing on eBay for Merkle Korff motor that could possibly be adapted for this purpose. I ordered one of these motors, and it arrived today. I purchased it as a spare part to be used as a replacement for the original motor should it fail sometime in the future.

A quick assessment reveals the motor listed motor is slightly shorter than the original, and does not include the Flexo-Action gear box mounted to the original motor. It is a 115 volt reversible motor with reduction head that has 5 rpm at the output shaft. The mounting holes in the reduction unit do appear to match to those on my Flexo- Action reducer. However I have not attempted to remove the original assembly from my lathe to confirm it. I also cannot verify that the shaft extending from the new motor reduction unit is the same size as the shaft connecting the current reduction unit to the Flexo-Action gear box. The Flexo-Action gear further reduces the speed of the output shaft to the Worthington Drive sheave actuator to 1 rpm.

The motor listed may require some minor modifications, but I believe it could be used as a replacement for the original.

Last edited by a moderator:
I have been interested in finding a spare motor as well but haven't had the time to look into it. If you make any progress be sure to take some pictures.

Back