Sheldon lathe

dlane

Active User
Registered
anyone have experience with Sheldon lathes, are they any good ? It's a 13x36, what type spindle ?
It's on CL
I could get my brother to go get it , but he doesn't know much about metal lathes

Time is ticking , seems it's at a machinery dealer

Derrick,

There are two different models of the 13" lathe built by Sheldon. One is the M series and the other is the R13 model, actually two different models of the R13. Regardless, both are great machines to have if they have not been abused or worn out. Can you get the serial number or post a picture or two?

Don't know how to copy link on this iPad, it's in sf Bay Area CL tools , in Santa Cruz
IMG_0893.JPG
Add says 13x36 $450. No tooling chuck no good , wounder what kind of spindle

Talked to the guy , a machine dealer that has no room for it that's why it's cheep , he said it was used for polishing only , x slide , compound very little backlash needs cleaning and lube , 3ph
IMG_0894.JPG

If the ways look good including the cross slide ways, jump on it if you want it. Don't expect to cut zero taper in 12", you will be disappointed. My immediate guess is late 1940's early 1950's. Still has the star handle to engage the power feed on the apron. Later one's have a lever engagement for the clutch. With all of the polishing that was done on that lathe, I'm sure there is wear on the bed as well as in the headstock bearings. Looks like a Timken bearing headstock. Also has the two drop lever QCGB. I'd offer him $250 and see if he takes it. It more than likely will be a project lathe. Mainly, cleaning it up and replacing worn out bearings. Hopefully, the bed is in good shape. If not, walk away, unless you want to pay someone to regrind it for you. Then the real fun begins.

Oh, it looks like it has the step pulley motor drive in the base, which is a plus over the four speed tranny.

Thanks Ken , if it's still available Tuesday I'll haul my trailer down with me and take a look
Any idea what the spindle nose is on them

Hard to tell from the picture, my guess it is either 2-1/4 or 2-3/8-8 pitch thread. If you're lucky, it might be a L-00 nose.

Back