Sheldon R17

Just a word of thought, I have that same tailstock on my lathe. And the base on mine is somewhat thinner than your in the picture, not including the spacer. This leads me to believe you have a 17" lathe that has been raised to swing much larger over the ways. Does your head stock say "17" on it?

Just a word of thought, I have that same tailstock on my lathe. And the base on mine is somewhat thinner than your in the picture, not including the spacer. This leads me to believe you have a 17" lathe that has been raised to swing much larger over the ways. Does your head stock say "17" on it?
Yes Sir, it has a 17 badge on it.

Last edited:
Does anyone know if these cog drive belts are still available, and where to order one from?

Thanks

lathe drive belt.jpg

If your lucky, there should be a number on the belt that will give you the pitch and length, if your lucky. If not, pull the belt and go find your nearest industrial supplier, usually a bearing house. They can size it up for you and get you a replacement. Don't be surprised of the sticker shock!!! When you go to pay for it. If you can find the number on it, Google it, and should be all sorts of sources come up for the belt. I've been out of that part of the industry for so long, I don't remember all of the designations for identifying that belt by. Shouldn't be anything special about it. It's a standard industrial timing belt.

Ken

If your lucky, there should be a number on the belt that will give you the pitch and length, if your lucky. If not, pull the belt and go find your nearest industrial supplier, usually a bearing house. They can size it up for you and get you a replacement. Don't be surprised of the sticker shock!!! When you go to pay for it. If you can find the number on it, Google it, and should be all sorts of sources come up for the belt. I've been out of that part of the industry for so long, I don't remember all of the designations for identifying that belt by. Shouldn't be anything special about it. It's a standard industrial timing belt.

Ken

Thanks Ken, I found them on mcmastercarr.

https://www.mcmaster.com/#6484k273/=1bob2y6

There you go. Not a bad price either.

Glad you found one.

Ken

Tempting to raise my lathe as yours has been raised.

Best lathe I ever owned was a Sheldon . She sure is pretty now. Good luck with her.

Back