Sheldon Sebastian 16" X 60" I Think

The gearing in the headstock looks nice. Be sure to put some fresh oil in the headstock. My preference is ISO 46 hydraulic oil. Do not put gear oil in the headstock! The gearing on the outside of the headstock that feeds into the QCGB is in decent shape. Unless you just want to take it apart I would leave it alone. Saturact in ISO 46 oil and let it run. If you decide to remove the gearing, make you a skecth on paper the arrangement of the gears so you will know how it goes back together. Just start with the outer most one and remove, then remove the next gear and so on until you have them all removed. They are not press fit on the studs, should slip right off without any effort.

I'm real surprised to see a Sheldon name on the lathe. I highly doubt there were many sold of this design under Sheldon. Probably used up the stock on hand until the new Sheldon-Sebastian lathe took it's place in the early to mid 1950's. Now we know another piece of the pie of it's existance under Sheldon. Ken

Ken, I think that the info on the quick change is not from this lathe, it just sits there on an aluminum box, not original. It is the quick change gear box I want to remove and clean, already did the ones that feed it as you said.

Got a picture of the front of the QCGB? I hope you can remove the lead screw before removing the gearbox. May not be the case, hard to say without more pictures. I know on my Sheldon Sebastian lathe, the lead screw is pinned to the output shaft of the QCGB.

Here are some pics. From what I can see so far it may have to come off with the lead screw. I see no way from the outside to disconnect it. They are a little dark, ran up to shop real quick to get pics, needed to turn on more lights.

IMG_1848.jpg IMG_1846.jpg

IMG_1847.jpg

IMG_1846.jpg

IMG_1846.jpg

IMG_1847.jpg

Also the 3/4 hp motor can't even spin the clutch to full speed when it is disengaged. So I am on the hunt for a 3hp 3 phase motor. Going to look at some tomorrow. I already have a rotary phase converter so it should be easy to get it wired up. I don't think this lathe ever did any work with that motor in it.

I believe you are correct, the QCGB will have to come off with the lead screw attached. That's going to be fun. I would crank the carriage all the way to the tail end of the bed when you get ready to remove. Thanks for posting the pictures. Let us know how you make out with the removal. Ken

Thanks Ken, I think I will remove the carriage and clean it up at the same time so it will be out of the way.

So as these things go sometimes, while on the hunt for a motor for the Sebastian I found a Logan 2535 VLH lathe. It was stuffed in a seatrain full of tools, not hooked up and to crowded to use anyway. Obviously I could not leave it there so I made the deal since the woman who owns the place is selling everything, husband died 2 years ago. Here are a couple of pics until I get it unloaded later today. I will post in the Logan forum also.

IMG_1872.jpg IMG_1873.jpg

What ever you paid for that lathe, it's worth it to get the collet adapter and nose piece! Nice find. Ken

Back