Sheldon shaper is still busy

Andy Pullen

Registered
Registered
Hi All,
I have my Sheldon shaper set up on the next job. This one took a little bit of thought. I'm machining 3 sets of side rods for live steam models of Union Pacific RR Big Boy locomotives. The intermediate rods (the ones on the second and third driver in each set of 4 drivers) have a fork in each end for the front and rear rods to connect to the crankpins.
Originally, I was planning on using a large diameter 1/8" wide slitting saw to cut the slots. I had already drilled a hole vertically through the rods where the slots ended to make it a little easier. Well, the 8" diameter saw was turning in the slowest speed in back gear (about 60 rpm) and even with flood coolant on the cutter, it was turning too fast to cut the stainless.
I then remembered a video of a slotter (vertical shaper) doing what I needed to do, so I made a fixture and bought a nice thick high speed steel parting tool blade from an eBay seller and made a holder for that.....I wasn't sure if the shaper would push that blade through the stainless in 1 pass, it wouldn't. Another fixture was made for the horizontal bandsaw to cut most of the offending material out of the rod.
I finally had success last night. The first slot of 24 is done. Side 1 took a little while as I was getting the feel for it. Side 2 took about 1/2 the time.
Shapers are very useful machines.....sometimes they take a little thought to get them set up.

shaper2.jpg

shaper3.jpg

shaper4.jpg

Shaper.jpg

Hi All,
I have my Sheldon shaper set up on the next job. This one took a little bit of thought. I'm machining 3 sets of side rods for live steam models of Union Pacific RR Big Boy locomotives. The intermediate rods (the ones on the second and third driver in each set of 4 drivers) have a fork in each end for the front and rear rods to connect to the crankpins.
Originally, I was planning on using a large diameter 1/8" wide slitting saw to cut the slots. I had already drilled a hole vertically through the rods where the slots ended to make it a little easier. Well, the 8" diameter saw was turning in the slowest speed in back gear (about 60 rpm) and even with flood coolant on the cutter, it was turning too fast to cut the stainless.
I then remembered a video of a slotter (vertical shaper) doing what I needed to do, so I made a fixture and bought a nice thick high speed steel parting tool blade from an eBay seller and made a holder for that.....I wasn't sure if the shaper would push that blade through the stainless in 1 pass, it wouldn't. Another fixture was made for the horizontal bandsaw to cut most of the offending material out of the rod.
I finally had success last night. The first slot of 24 is done. Side 1 took a little while as I was getting the feel for it. Side 2 took about 1/2 the time.
Shapers are very useful machines.....sometimes they take a little thought to get them set up.

View attachment 272681

View attachment 272682

View attachment 272683

View attachment 272684
Nice setup, I bought a Sheldon Shaper this past December. Trying to figure the variable speed belt is a nightmare. I ended up buying a belt off eBay, 2926V584, it's a little long. I thought the 58.4" was the outside diameter but it's the inside. Probably doesn't matter much since I'm too chicken to run it past the slowest speed. It is a very detailed piece of machinery; a lot of engineering went into the direct drive and back gear drive setup. The vice on it is from a larger and different brand shaper, 10"x10"x heavy duty weighing a ton. Belongs on a Hendey shaper. Almost too big for my 12" Sheldon shaper but at least I have a vice. Pretty neat job to come up with, good for you.

Hi All,

View attachment 272681

View attachment 272682

View attachment 272683

View attachment 272684
Hi friend,
What a work! Good job.
I liked a lot you parting tool holder. Its a huge piece. Im gonna make one like that.
Cheers
Robson

Back