Sheldon tail stock

dlane

Active User
Registered
started on the tail stock, any one know how to get the rear bushing with the witness mark ball oiler off
tried turning it both ways, no go
Is it pressed in ?.
Also the pin that stops the quill from spinning is a little worn is it fixable can't see a way to remove it?.
Thanks
IMG_0910.JPG
The green has to go

Afraid I left some pipe wrench marks on it trying to un screw it I was useing some copper sheet but it cut the copper and gouged the bushing . Should they be right or left handed threads if threaded at all
Might try some heat on the casting to turn it cc trying not to leave any more marks on it . If I can get it off I'll turn off the marks on the SB10L and make a new witness mark.
Pressed in I would think pressure from drilling might try to push it out but If pressed in it'll a trick to press out as the casting isn't square on the end .

Derrick,

On both of my Sheldon lathes I have, there are two set screws that hold that piece in place. They are at 90 degrees from each other. Make sure to remove them completely. Once remove, insert some kind of bar from other end and gently drive it out. It's not threaded and should not be that tight.

Ken

Not sure but I think the slide pins are screwed in. There may be a cover on the outside access.

Ok didn't see set screws under 5 coats of paint, that will teach me
Any hope for the quill pin
Thanks

Ok didn't see set screws under 5 coats of paint, that will teach me
Any hope for the quill pin
Thanks
Might try a pair of long reach needle nose pliers. I did not try to remove it on my 15" Sheldon rebuild, just left it alone. And it's been 38 years since I rebuilt the other 13" Sheldon I had, too.

Yeah, I found out the hard way, too, on the set screws.

John Knox - Sheldon Expert who runs the Yahoo Sheldon Group wrote this about the tailstock key:

This key was not a "drive fit" in the body & you should be able to "jar" it & weasel it out with a needle nose pliers. If this is not fact in your case, remove the quill oil fitting which is directly above the key. With a properly ground semicircular chisel, thru the quill bore in the tailstock casting carefully remove what's left in the bore area so you have a near flat surface inside. Now pilot thru the lube fitting hole, locate the center of the key stem & (the size of this hole was I believe made with a "D" drill (.246"). Go in with like a 1/8" drill, pick up the center of the key & drill in 3/16" to 1/4" deep, now go to a 1/32" or 1/16 larger drill & force it a bit to see if you can make it "grab & spin" the key shank out without injuring the hole. Now turn a piece of 3/8"steel stock to a Dia. (.249 or .250"), cut it off & file it so you have a "T" that fits the 3/16" keyway in the spindle, make sure the top of the key does not rub the top of the keyway in the spindle, drop it into place & install spindle. (notice, quill & spindle have been used interchangeably here)

Mine was worn badly and I made a new one to replace the old one.

I've no idea how Sheldon did it but Atlas used an Allen headless socket set screw with the end ground to look like a shortl square key. It was screwed into the bottom of the tailstock nose with the ground flats lined up fore and aft and then the ram inserted. Might be worthwhile digging through the 5 coats of paint looking for something.

Thanks all for the help , wish I ad a direct line to John Knox ,, yahoo no good for me.
Drilled old key out , made a new one with no slop slight press fit in caseing slides good .
Any one know original Sheldon colors?. I was thinking of blue gray combo two tone.
This assembly should be done and boxed up tomorrow

Last edited:
Sheldon color was basic gray. Smoke gray is what I used. Sheldon would paint the lathe just about any color you wanted. Gray blue what you like, go for it!
Ken

Back