Sheldon ten inch lathe

Doc Hoy

Registered
Registered
I picked up a Sheldon ten inch lathe. It was in pieces but appears complete but the for flat belt. This appears to be the older model (I think it is 1020) with the motor behind rather than above. Three speed screw cutter. I am fairly certain there is a complete set of cutting gears for it. They are still at the seller's house. Will post photos later.

I picked up a Sheldon ten inch lathe. It was in pieces but appears complete but the for flat belt. This appears to be the older model (I think it is 1020) with the motor behind rather than above. Three speed screw cutter. I am fairly certain there is a complete set of cutting gears for it. They are still at the seller's house. Will post photos later.

Here are some photos. More later.

Attachments

• Shel a.jpg
    Shel a.jpg
    107.4 KB · Views: 34
  • Shel b.jpg
    Shel b.jpg
    147.3 KB · Views: 33
  • Shel c.jpg
    Shel c.jpg
    97.7 KB · Views: 28
  • Shel d.jpg
    Shel d.jpg
    92.9 KB · Views: 28
  • Shel e.jpg
    Shel e.jpg
    111 KB · Views: 27
  • Shel h.jpg
    Shel h.jpg
    183.5 KB · Views: 27
  • Shel g.jpg
    Shel g.jpg
    132 KB · Views: 26
  • Shel f.jpg
    Shel f.jpg
    158 KB · Views: 28
  • Shel i.jpg
    Shel i.jpg
    150.8 KB · Views: 26
  • Shel j.jpg
    Shel j.jpg
    128 KB · Views: 31
Vintage Machinery (http://vintagemachinery.org/mfgindex/detail.aspx?id=2133&tab=3) has several Sheldon lathe publications.
Yes. Thanks. I saw them. I will need the combination feed nut and probly ought to have the near bushing on the headstock replaced. I am pretty sure the lathe will work but there will be backlash in the cross feed and combination feed and the lathe will probly make some noise. The feed nuts look very close to my South Bend. Anyone know about interchangeability?

Dude! That looks like my very first lathe!

Here's mine, pictured back around the turn of the century.
LatheCloseup.jpg

I sold that machine back around 2000 or so and I have regretted it ever since. I loved that machine and turned out some good work on that thing. I sold it because I wanted a QCGB. Stupid move since I don't cut threads all that often.

Anyway, nice machine, congratulations!

MK

Here is the description I used when I sold mine. Good summary of my lathe at the time.

ManufacturerThe Sheldon Machine Company of Chicago
Swing10"
Center to Center20" (bed length 38")
Spindle Speeds50, 90, 170, 275, 520, 965 rpm
Threads4 through 80 threads per inch, complete set of change gears included, semi-quick change gearbox for three feeds per set of change gears
Turning Feeds.0031, .0062, .0125 inches per spindle revolution
MotorDayton, 115 VAC, 6 amp, single phase, reversible, TEFC, rated for continuous duty
HeadstockMT-4 taper, 1-3/4" x 8 tpi threaded spindle, 1-1/8" through spindle
TailstockMT-2 taper

Dude! That looks like my very first lathe!

Here's mine, pictured back around the turn of the century.
View attachment 328410

I sold that machine back around 2000 or so and I have regretted it ever since. I loved that machine and turned out some good work on that thing. I sold it because I wanted a QCGB. Stupid move since I don't cut threads all that often.

Anyway, nice machine, congratulations!

MK
Exactly! Except for two things. Mine is 44. Yours is stunningly beautiful.

Back