Sheldon Vernon #0 w/Bridgeport M head

ET1USN

H-M Supporter - Sustaining Member
H-M Platinum Supporter
Hello. I have been reading posts on here for years and have learned quite a bit. I figured I had better step up and register along with a contribution.
I purchased a horizontal mill with a vertical head a few years ago and now have the time to get it running. Luckily it came with some of tooling and several horizontal arbors. The Bridgeport M head is B&S #9 taper and there are a complete set of collets to go with it. I am thinking I will clean and lube it from top to bottom, and install two VFD's, one for the Sheldon horizontal 2hp motor and a second for the 1/2 hp U.S. Electric motor on the vertical head. Overall it looks to be in good shape----EXCEPT----someone removed the parts on the right side of the table for the drive.
Looking at the parts manual, I am missing #33 9010-9 worm wheel nut, #32 9010-8 worm wheel bracket, #30 9010-6 worm wheel (bronze), #31 9010-7 worm wheel key, and #17 3020-1 longitudinal pilot (right).
I live in Vernal, Utah. It is a small town in the NE mountains of the state. There is not much in the way of used machine equipment anywhere near me. I am hoping to get suggestions or help for the forum members to locate these items. I will happily pay to get the power feed on the table going.
I will take pictures of the clean-up lube and opperation as I go.
I have also been watching Mr Pete on Utube and bought his Atlas Craftsman 12" videos. I have purchased the threaded parts for the cross slide, compound slide, half nut and am going to attempt to tighten and align it to some better specs.
Thank you for any help or suggestions.

Hello and welcome.

I can’t help with hew specific parts you’re looking for but I’m sure someone else can help.

John

Howdy, I have a hybrid machine like that also- a Diamond horizontal with a Rotex vertical head.
Are you sure about the taper on the M head? B&S #9 is pretty large- I'm thinking it might be a #7 instead
The M is usually one of 3 tapers: MT2, B&S #7, and one more I forget
I would expect BS9 for the Sheldon spindle- my Diamond has it
-Mark

Howdy, I have a hybrid machine like that also- a Diamond horizontal with a Rotex vertical head.
Are you sure about the taper on the M head? B&S #9 is pretty large- I'm thinking it might be a #7 instead
The M is usually one of 3 tapers: MT2, B&S #7, and one more I forget
I would expect BS9 for the Sheldon spindle- my Diamond has it
-Mark
you are correct, the sheldon is B&S #9 and the M head is B&S #7. Thanks.

Hello. I have all the parts for the X feed but the cover on the end. I can make that.
I have questions about old collets. My Sheldon came with arbors and corresponding collets, I finally found them, the are double Taber (DT) collets in size Y and Z.

Attachments

• lg collet 01.jpg
    lg collet 01.jpg
    320.4 KB · Views: 3
  • lg collet 02.jpg
    lg collet 02.jpg
    269.5 KB · Views: 3
  • lg collet 03.jpg
    lg collet 03.jpg
    194.9 KB · Views: 3
  • sm collet 01.jpg
    sm collet 01.jpg
    218.9 KB · Views: 3
  • sm collet 02.jpg
    sm collet 02.jpg
    195 KB · Views: 3
Last edited:
Here are some pictures of progress. I still need the Sheldon moved about two foot. It is starting to look clean. after final move, I can start on the electrical. I have been aranging machines, cleaning and sorting through equipment, work holding and measurement stuff.

Attachments

• Sheldon #0 1s.jpg
    Sheldon #0 1s.jpg
    160.3 KB · Views: 10
  • Sheldon #0 2s.jpg
    Sheldon #0 2s.jpg
    164.7 KB · Views: 8
  • Sheldon #0 3s.jpg
    Sheldon #0 3s.jpg
    181.5 KB · Views: 12
  • Machines 12-02-22s.jpg
    Machines 12-02-22s.jpg