Sheldon (Vernon) Model 0 Horizontal Mill Restoration.

Super clean.
Looking forward to seeing the crossfeed drive in place.

Update #9
Made a little more progress today. Got the 3 Gibbs hand scraped. I did the classic hinge test of these on the surface plate and none of them were flat. I'm very much a novice at hand scrapping but I've read a few papers and watched a few videos and I was able to get all 3 nice and flat. Now they hinge just like they should. I made a simple hand scrapper from an old file and it seems to work pretty well.

IMG_0847[1].JPGIMG_0848[1].JPG
Next I drilled and tapped the holes in the saddle for the motor mount plate. I then assembled the feed drive and tested it by temporarily wiring the stepper motor. It worked just as it should. It is gratifying to conceive an idea in your head, design it in Fusion 360, machine the parts, and then assemble it into a working machine.

Tomorrow I will paint the brackets for the electrical enclosure and overarm support and while they are drying, I'll begin the final assembly.

Last edited:
Update #10
I got most of the machine put back together and tested the new feed drive. It works great, super quiet and smooth. All axis movements are smooth the backlash is minimal. I'll probably readjust the gibbs after I get a few hours on them. I was able to use the existing plunger in the saddle to activate a travel limit switch mounted below it, much easier than I anticipated. So, I was able to use the existing adjustable stops on the front of the table.

IMG_0849[1].JPG IMG_0852[1].JPG

The electrical enclosure is a little larger than I hoped, but I'll get used to it. All of the components and operator devices are on it which simplified things a bit. The operators panel is very accessible and easy to use. The spindle speed is adjustable from about 50 RPM to 975 RPM and will run in both CW and CCW. The display shows spindle RPM and the feed rate. The feed rate can be adjusted with the up/down buttons on the display. Feed rate can be selected for left or right. There are separate rapid traverse buttons for left and right. The feed rate is adjustable from 0.1 IPM to 10.00 IPM. The rapid traverse is currently set at 10 IPM, but I may increase that. The ESTOP will kill both the spindle and the feed drive. I'd be happy to share the electrical design and software (Arduino) if anyone is interested.

IMG_0854[1].JPG IMG_0851[1].JPG

I still need to install the gibb locks and side covers and probably a few other things I forgot, but for the most part it is done. I also need to finish the overarm support and then do some test cuts with an arbor installed. I'm also going to try to reproduce the Vernon nameplates, but that is not a priority.

Last edited:
Update #10
I got most of the machine put back together and tested the new feed drive. It works great, super quiet and smooth. All axis movements are smooth the backlash is minimal. I'll probably readjust the gibbs after I get a few hours on them. I was able to use the existing plunger in the saddle to active a travel limit switch mounted below it, much easier than I anticipated. So, I was able to use the existing adjustable stops on the front of the table.

View attachment 435867 View attachment 435868

The electrical enclosure is a little larger than I hoped, but I'll get used to it. All of the components and operator devices are on it which simplified things a bit. The operators panel is very accessible and easy to use. The spindle speed is adjustable from about 50 RPM to 975 RPM and will run in both CW and CCW. The display shows spindle RPM and the feed rate. The feed rate can be adjusted with the up/down buttons on the display. Feed rate can be selected for left or right. There are separate rapid traverse buttons for left and right. The feed rate is adjustable from 0.1 IPM to 10.00 IPM. The rapid traverse is currently set at 10 IPM, but I may increase that. The ESTOP will kill both the spindle and the feed drive. I'd be happy to share the electrical design and software (Arduino) if anyone is interested.

View attachment 435870 View attachment 435871

I still need to install the gibb locks and side covers and probably a few other things I forgot, but for the most part it is done. I also need to finish the overarm support and then do some test cuts with an arbor installed. I'm also going to try to reproduce the Vernon nameplates, but that is not a priority.

That looks amazing. Great job

I’m interested to see the sort of jobs you’ll do on it also. Just to see the limits of what a small ish machine can do (I’ve one a similar size which I’ve yet to really use, so want to see what others are doing with their similar sized mills)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Wow. You set the Sheldon resto bar really, really high.

Lots of great ideas, with impressive execution.

I would to see the design of the electronics/Arduino on the feed drive.

First Chips
I'm finally getting a chance to make some test cuts on the finished mill. It runs nice and smooth. The VFD and the feed-drive work great. I used a 7/16" x 4" cutter on some aluminum. I started out with some light cuts of .020 deep at 2 IPM, no problem. Ultimately, I ended up at .050 deep at 5 IPM and it cut fine. I could probably go much higher, but no need at this point. All that was using conventional milling. I did make a climb milling pass in the end at .010 deep at 5 IPM and it cleaned up nicely. I did all of this at about 650 RPM. I've never used a horizontal milling machine before so I wanted to do some aluminium before I cut any steel. I'll try that next. Having easily adjustable spindle speed and feed-rate made finding the "sweet spot" for cutting really easy.

I'm unsure as to the best way to tighten the LH arbor nut, there is no easy way to grip the arbor. I'm considering milling some flats on the shoulder of the arbor to help with this. Any comments or thoughts would be appreciated.

I also learned that the machine throws chips 3 to 4 feet, so it made a big mess on my toolbox. So, I made a small plexiglass shield mounted to two magnets to help reduce to scatter.

Jim

IMG_0945[1].JPG IMG_0946[1].JPG IMG_0947[1].JPG

Back