[4]

Sheldon vernon vertical Mill?

[3]
[10] Like what you see?
Click here to donate to this forum and upgrade your account!

laddy

Registered
Hey,
Anybody else have a Sheldon/Vernon vertical milling machine?? Art deco in appearance. Originally made to be the crossover machine between a jig borer and a mill. I have had mine for close to ten years and love it. Since I am strapped for space and do mainly smaller stuff I don't have room or need for a Bridgeport. Fred

randyjaco

Active User
H-M Supporter - Gold Member ($25)
Hey Laddy,
How a bout some pictures. I 'd love to see it.

Randy
Proud owner of a Vernon Shaper

laddy

Registered
My computer ability is rather limited. How do I transfer a photo from Picasa to the reply thread? Fred

eacest

Registered
Registered
Hey,
Anybody else have a Sheldon/Vernon vertical milling machine?? Art deco in appearance. Originally made to be the crossover machine between a jig borer and a mill. I have had mine for close to ten years and love it. Since I am strapped for space and do mainly smaller stuff I don't have room or need for a Bridgeport. Fred

https://picasaweb.google.com/103254110764903661834/SheldonVernonMillProject

Working on one (link Above... wondering if you were able to find collets and other accessories for it?)

Steve

Tony Wells

Platinum
Registered
In your Picasa album, you should be able to right click the image and copy image location of using firefox, or similar language in any other browser, then here in your post, include the URL between these tags: . The picture will be linked into the post.

Last edited by a moderator:

schilpr

Active User
Registered
I have a vernon mill/borer looks very similar to the sheldon.

OK, now off to do an intro ;-)

JEM

Registered
I have one of those Vernon jig borers/mill combos that I use mainly for light milling. Works great - and I was even able to haul it home in my pick up. JEM

DSC04768.JPG DSC04770.JPG

valleyboy101

Active User
Registered
I had Vernon for several years in the early 90's. I liked it a lot but sold it when I got a got deal on a Mathey knee mill. I always liked its art deco styling. Luckily came with all the collets I needed so I never needed to go hunting for them.

Michael

Canuck75

Active User
H-M Supporter - Gold Member ($25)
I had Vernon for several years in the early 90's. I liked it a lot but sold it when I got a got deal on a Mathey knee mill. I always liked its art deco styling. Luckily came with all the collets I needed so I never needed to go hunting for them.

Michael
Did you get the Mathey from Cardon Tools by any chance?

valleyboy101

Active User
Registered
No I didn't, but I did sell it to Jason in Dec. 2012. I bought the Vernon from a machinery dealer north of the airport in Toronto in 1990. Later that year I was at an industrial auction in Brantford and bought the Mathey. It looked rough when I bought it but all it really needed was filling, paint, polish and lube. I kept it until the fall of 2012 when I bought an Induma BP clone and traded in the Mathey for tooling and a phase converter at Cardon.
Michael

jcgrimes

Registered
I restored one of these. I am not experienced with milling machines but the tool was almost free. I stripped everything down and sprayed with an industrial enamel, replaced all bearings except the spindle, converted to DC variable speed and am now learning IMG_0094.jpg milling with it. The run out would make a professional machinist lose sleep and the X/Y wear is not great but it works for my needs. When I need better I will improve these two shortcomings.

[6]
[5] [7]