Sheldon vernon vertical Mill?

No I didn't, but I did sell it to Jason in Dec. 2012. I bought the Vernon from a machinery dealer north of the airport in Toronto in 1990. Later that year I was at an industrial auction in Brantford and bought the Mathey. It looked rough when I bought it but all it really needed was filling, paint, polish and lube. I kept it until the fall of 2012 when I bought an Induma BP clone and traded in the Mathey for tooling and a phase converter at Cardon.
Michael

I restored one of these. I am not experienced with milling machines but the tool was almost free. I stripped everything down and sprayed with an industrial enamel, replaced all bearings except the spindle, converted to DC variable speed and am now learningIMG_0094.jpg milling with it. The run out would make a professional machinist lose sleep and the X/Y wear is not great but it works for my needs. When I need better I will improve these two shortcomings.

I restored one of these. I am not experienced with milling machines but the tool was almost free. I stripped everything down and sprayed with an industrial enamel, replaced all bearings except the spindle, converted to DC variable speed and am now learningView attachment 126116 milling with it. The run out would make a professional machinist lose sleep and the X/Y wear is not great but it works for my needs. When I need better I will improve these two shortcomings.

jcgrimes, I'm restoring a Vernon mill just like yours. I'm looking for parts and a manual for this machine. Maybe new belts too. Do you have any information to get me started?

Joe

Hello whizzerjoe
I have that red vertical mill you asked about. The previous owner made it look good but not a hole lot more. Nice guy and some nice improvements like the motor and VFD. I have taken it much farther and am happy to have it. Have a DRO coming and am looking to have that set up soon. Message me if you want.

I have one of those Vernon jig borers/mill combos that I use mainly for light milling. Works great - and I was even able to haul it home in my pick up. JEM

View attachment 50160 View attachment 50161
Hi Jem. I came across your post whilst searching for information on the Vernon vertical milling machine. I have what seems like the exact same model. It belonged to my late father who built model steam locomotives. When he died in 1996 I loaned the machinery to one of his friends to use on an ‘as long as you need it’ basis. The friend died recently and now I feel ready to put dads workshop back together. Problem is how to move the great beast? I was not around when it last moved and can’t locate those who helped at the time. I am hoping you might have some tips on what is needed. Will it come into smaller pieces? Where it is at present there is only about a foot of space above it....same where it is moving to. There will be a grass un-even lawn to cross also at each end of the journey.
I’d be really grateful for any suggestions.
JohnPetch

Back