Shell Mill Cutter?

Kroll

Active User
H-M Supporter Gold Member
Morning guys,just kinda thinking about shell mill cutters.Been watching several Utubes and I see that some use these shell mill cutters.I like the ideal of surfacing all in one pass vs using a mill end cutter to do the same in several passes.Its not a big deal I guess but while watching Utubes it looks like they leave a better surface finish.What do ya'll think about these,looking on ebay I see several dia's and prices.What would your selection be if you were in market for your first shell mill cutter?I guess there is a good reason why they are called Shell Mill Cutters?

What kind of mill will you be using, and on what metals? The bigger the diameter and the more inserts, the more power and rigidity you will need. As the size of the cut increases, the maximum depth of cut will decrease, until at some point a fly cutter starts making more sense. I would not buy a multi insert shell mill off eBay. I would want to see in person what kind of shape the insert pockets are in. If they can't all be set up at an equal height and clamped down so they will stay there, then you will never get a good finish.

Isn't his a face mill, not a shell mill? Doesen't a Shell Mill by definition have axially parallel cutting edges?

It’s BP 2hp,the pic is one I was looking at on eBay, which just pick it as reference.I see that some take couple inserts and different diameter

Reason for asking is I have unknown block steel that’s bout 2”wide x 3.5 long that I like to make sure it’s flat and square before I cut off 3/4 piece.

Isn't his a face mill, not a shell mill? Doesen't a Shell Mill by definition have axially parallel cutting edges?

Yeah technically that's a face mill, not a shell mill cutter even though most face mills use shell mill arbors.

Thanks guys,well I look on ebay search face mill cutters and 3000 of them pop up.Only 17 were auction and it looks like some take different inserts and in wide range of diameter's.For myself it be aluminum and just some mild steel,making things for myself or trying to make things for myself.

I have bought 2 of them for the same purpose you are thinking. To make 1 pass across a part.
I bought the 5in one first. It will make a nice smooth finish with the right inserts. I bought some aluminum specific inserts and it made a huge difference in the finish. It is pretty noisey when cutting, which I believe is the 90 degree cutting angle.
I bought the smaller 2 1/2" 45 degree one just to see the difference in thd cut.
It is much quieter. I did buy some different inserts and they cut much better than the cheap ones that are included.
The picture of the block of aluminum was cut with the 5in and the inserts that came with it. You can see the tearing in the finish.
Joe Hynes

Back