Shell Mills and Face Mills for R8

Well , sure that would work , but that thing is weak . You could make a much better 2 tool fly cutter than that .

We have a winner, but I will have to save up.

I’ll bet there are a number of TTS tools that can fit into this collet, possible rabbit hole here.

BC23A71A-C64B-4015-8A45-B8EFE3654AA8.pngCDCFFB89-6831-468C-820F-30976F1C30D5.png

The last thing that I would need is to try and cut work hardened 1018!

That thing just looks like a bad idea. You would really have to set the tools to the same height.

You can actually use the Superfly in a regular 3/4" R8 collet but it may not hold as solidly or as well. I suggest you buy the TTS R8 collet at the same time you get the Superfly. That collet will hold any of the other tools in the TTS system, not just the Superfly, so its not a bad idea to have it. Once you see how fast and simple it is to change tools with the TTS system you'll see why many of us use it.

I have the 2" FM45 cutter from Glacern, its very nice, and is the single piece integrated R8 arbor so is fairly rigid. It uses more rake so is shearing rather than beating the metal off. Its not intended for hogging, but you can maybe take up to .020 in a pass without trouble. Leaves a fine polished looking finish. This is used on my "hotrodded" 1HP Rockwell mill.

You can just buy the Superfly tool holder and make your own.

I have the 38mm Tormach face mill and never use it on my PM25. A fly cutter works much, much, much, much better for this level of machine. Even still, I find myself doing most of my facing with a 1/2" end mill.

You have a small mill with a limited budget. If I were you, I would consider the Tormach Superfly that uses a single insert. Tormach came up with it as an alternative to their face mills when used on a low HP mill. It works quite well with a 1HP motor, can do a surprising amount of stock reduction and finishes better than their 38mm face mill. Inserts are pretty cheap and last quite some time in a hobby shop. I've done a 0.070" deep pass with that thing and it left a more than acceptable finish.
Do you know if the Tormach fly cutter toolholder would work in a non-Tormach fly cutter body?

Back