Shepard lathe Back Gear

rock_breaker

H-M Supporter - Diamond Member
H-M Lifetime Diamond Member
Son in Law traded for a Shepard Lathe recently, it has teeth missing off the smaller gear on the back gear assembly, so it has seen some rough times. One tooth missing in one area 6 missing in another area. One brass replacement next to 6 missing teeth and two other areas of brass teeth replacements. SiL says the machinists believe the 80 tooth 1.25 ID gear was pressed on a 1.3" shaft (tube) while 34 tooth gear was machined out of a larger piece of stock. Overall length of tube is 5.075 and bored to 0.614". Lubrication holes near each gear. The web of the 80 tooth gear is recessed on both side while the 34 tooth gear was not. This machine has #1 MT tapers in both the headstock and tailstock. It has a motor but SiL believes it may be a converted treadle powered type. I will try to attach a drawing in which the text is more accurate than the dimensions by 1-3 thousandths. What should I add the the file name to get it to show here?

Last edited:
You can just use the attach files feature. If it's a jpeg file it will show up automatically, other formats I'm not sure
Mark
ps do you know the swing and approximate length of this lathe? #1 morse tapers are found on smaller lathes like 6"
there is actually a #0 size too, even thinner

Last edited:
You can just use the attach files feature. If it's a jpeg file it will show up automatically, other formats I'm not sure
Mark
ps do you know the swing and approximate length of this lathe? #1 morse tapers are found on smaller lathes like 6"
there is actually a #0 size too, even thinner

Not sure but will try to get that info

There is a man I've heard of named Al Meekins who can duplicate virtually any gear, don't know if it's within your budget or not.
He has a website www.gearsmade.com
If that is too expensive perhaps you could adapt some off the shelf gears from Boston or Martin
Mark

Back