[Lathe] Shepard Lathe Has Anyone Heard Of This Lathe?

Picker62

Registered
Registered
It is a older lathe that looks like it was a treadle lathe that has been converted to belt drive. The head stock and tail stock are not Morse tapers. A number one is too small and the number two is too big. I have not found a way to check the tapers. I would like to use this lathe but with out centers or chuck adapters it just sits there waiting.

I went to that sight it has a lot of info on the bigger lathes. Mine seems to be smaller looks to be 8 or 9 inch with change gears. When i got it and loaded it the carriage slid to the tail stock before stopping. Disassembled and found the rack stripped out in the center section. Removed it matched the rack and had it machined to fit the machine reinstalled it now the carriage works correctly with the hand wheel. Still not sure about the spindle and tail stock tapers. They are not morse taper have tried both one and two. One was too small and two is too big. I have played with the idea of changing it to number two morse, but I have been reluctant to change the bores.

A thought on the tapers. If you can mount a id snap gauge on the carriage (like in a boring tool holder) and a dial indicator on the bed you could take a measurement near the outside of a taper and zero the dial. Next move in one inch and repeat the measuring process. Subtract little number from big and you are left with taper per inch. Knowing that should help in the hunt for centers ect.

Back