Sherline CNC conversion Suggestions anyone

kvt

Active User
H-M Supporter Gold Member
Have an old Sherline 5400 mill, in good shape that I want to convert to CNC, Any suggestions as to low cost kits or parts etc.
I have looked at getting the CNC conversion kit to mount the Nema 23 motors on it. About $250. But not sure what kit, motors etc.
The only computer I have is a laptop that does not have a Serial so USB would be what I need for control.
The Lath is new enough that it is pre drilled for mounting the motor mounts. I also have an old lath but it is old enough that it still has the old style motor, and is not pre drilled for upgrades. Plus the tail stock is bad on it.

Any suggestions comments etc would be greatly appreciated.

Have an old Sherline 5400 mill, in good shape that I want to convert to CNC, Any suggestions as to low cost kits or parts etc.
I have looked at getting the CNC conversion kit to mount the Nema 23 motors on it. About $250. But not sure what kit, motors etc.
The only computer I have is a laptop that does not have a Serial so USB would be what I need for control.
The Lath is new enough that it is pre drilled for mounting the motor mounts. I also have an old lath but it is old enough that it still has the old style motor, and is not pre drilled for upgrades. Plus the tail stock is bad on it.

Any suggestions comments etc would be greatly appreciated.

Hi there kvt, This is only my second post, first one after the intro, but having the experience building several 3D routers and a 3D printer, I think I have a few answers for you in this subject.

First off, USB control/interface. If you take a page from the Shapeoko guys, the most of them are using an Arduino loaded with GRBL as the Gcode interpreter. It is free, open source, very light and works well on an Arduino R3 Uno. Using Nema 23's don't even think about using a RAMPS board for stepper drivers. They will not handle the load. Youll want to look for either the TB6560 based driver boards for small Nema23's up to 3 amp / 35v. There are also some TB6600 based drivers that will handle up to 5 amps / 48v. (I'm looking at these my own self for a project on down the road). Then there are the BTS7960 based units that will handle a bunch of current 40+ amps peek, but only handle up to 27v. There is tons of info out there on hooking it all up and it's not hard.

On the computer side, you will need a program to send the Gcode out the USB port. There is GRBL Controller that will give you basic interface with your machine.

Add to that a power supply and an enclosure to put it all in and you should be OK with a simple low cost and functional USB controlled CNC. Mind you will never get the performance like you would out of a set of gecko drives and the like, but you should be able to get by. Don't expect neck snapping rapids, but it should do alright.

Arduino Uno R3 - Asian import ~$6.00
TB6600 Stepper Driver ~$20.00 Ea. (need 3 for mill)
24V 360w (15a) Power supply ~$30.00
Enclosure to put the electronics in - Free to +$100 (whatever works for you)
Wiring, plugs, nuts n' bolts, etc, ~$25.00
Software Free.

There are many more options out there but you asked for low cost and with some careful shopping and a little research, you should be OK. I am sure others will have their suggestions as well. I my own elf am looking to hear what others might have to say.

Mark

Back