Sherline Company And Parts

kvt

Active User
H-M Supporter Gold Member
I'm beginning to wander if it is just me, or if the or something. Several times I have ordered replacement parts. and they have sent me the wrong ones. I have a inch mill and lathe but they keep sending me parts for metric. This last time they sent me the new backlash nuts for a metric but under the part numbers for a inch. Now my plans for use of it this weekend were down the tubes. Like I said this is not the first time. Also their Quality control seems to be lacking as I have had several things that are not finished properly. I've had T nuts that would not fit into the slots, without threads, even ones that are not blued in a package of ones that were. Then you had the nuts for both the X and Y axis that I just got, (oh by the way they were in the same package as the new backlash nuts and they were inch) had machining that had chatter marks etc on them. Is this just me and my bad luck or is this what the company has become as of the last couple of years.

There is a person by the name of Jerry Kieffer who is an excellent model engineering machinist. He has all sorts of lathes and speaks very highly of the Sherline product line, and has considerable experience with them.

Perhaps you could google him and ask him the questions.

Your experiences sound very disappointing to me, considering the quality of their products in the past.

David

Have they gone chi also ? . What another shame !.

There is a person by the name of Jerry Kieffer who is an excellent model engineering machinist. He has all sorts of lathes and speaks very highly of the Sherline product line, and has considerable experience with them.

Perhaps you could google him and ask him the questions.

Your experiences sound very disappointing to me, considering the quality of their products in the past.

David

Jerry is now a member on this forum. Hope he sees this.

I have heard that things have sort of gone to pot since Joe Martin passed. I never had a problem with parts but it has been a number of years since I bought something from them. I am sure they'll make it right if you contact them, Ken.

Oh I did send them an email. But the parts were received at 4 PM CST on Friday, So did not start using them till Sat, by then they were closed for the 3 day weekend. And tried to leave message but no voice mail on the phone number from the invoice. Just kept ringing. The last time I contacted them they sent replacement parts, and some extras. But that should not happen on every other order. My prior order cam in fine. (that was a new Z axis and screw for the same mill.) I also remember someone else commenting on bad, but they worked with them to correct. So service is great but parts seems to be the problem for me, and the loss of time on the mill when I was expecting to be up and operational.

Just got an email from Sherline. They are overnighting me the replacement parts. Looking back at it, it is almost like every other, or every third order has had some type of problem either the wrong part or the quality control on them was bad. Thus I do not see how they will stay in business etc if it is that way with all of their stuff now days. Don't get me wrong, what has worked has worked well, and they do work to correct things, but if done correctly the first time it would be less cost. Either that or my bad luck is really bad luck.

No, I don't think its just you. Somehow, Joe kept a good grip on things when he was alive and I never had an issue with parts before. I don't know how things are going over there but I do wish them luck. Sherline makes fine tools and they have an international following. It would be sad indeed if they let that go.

I've had T nuts that would not fit into the slots, without threads, even ones that are not blued in a package of ones that were. Then you had the nuts for both the X and Y axis that I just got, (oh by the way they were in the same package as the new backlash nuts and they were inch) had machining that had chatter marks etc on them. Is this just me and my bad luck or is this what the company has become as of the last couple of years.

Personally, I find this discouraging as I have been very close to purchasing a Sherline lathe for a while. I put the purchase on hold several months ago when I first heard rumblings of quality issues hoping that they were unfounded and that the rumors would be contradicted. Unfortunately, your factual report confirms that something is apparently amiss.

It is my hope that a number of influential users will communicate this to the individuals managing the company and that they will quickly implement tangible and effective measures to address product quality and customer service. We need the quality products that Sherline offered.

~Hans

Their customer service is not lacking That is one good thing. It just seems the Quality control is a bit off, they put the wrong parts in the wrong bins, and whoever is supposed to be doing Quality Checks is missing or something. They work with you to get it right but, that should not have to happen. They do still produce some good quality. Like I said they correct problems, My last lathe is just over a year old, and still working nicely, it was just some sharp edges etc that had to be taken care of. If nothing else contact them and see what they have to say about quality etc. And let them know that you have heard rumblings abot the QC, Maybe it will bring more to their attention as to the Quality control issues. Like I said I have some of the worst luck, so it my just be my bad luck. To tell you how bad it is my wife and I both bought tickets for a raffle they sold three tickets, and the other person won.

Ken,

Good to hear that the customer service is responsive.

I was more concerned about incorrectly machined parts (t-nuts not fitting slots, missing threads), chatter marks, sharp edges etc. One has come to expect such reports on the Asian mini machines and accessories, but not on Sherlines. This is precisely what Sherline and their loyal users were able to sell against.

Thank you for reporting the facts.

~Hans

Back