Sherline + Igauging Linear Dro; Possible?

After some clearances testing, I'm redesigning the main bracket. Will post pics soon.

So here's the redesigned main bracket template:

lathe-8.jpg

This adjustment lowers the reader head position for the cross-slide. Also, the additional little finger on the left is another mount point for the flashing to protect the reader heads.

Here's the mostly finished bracket:
lathe-9.jpg

I really wish I had a bending brake, but this is the best I can manage with the hand-tools I have. The lower plate that will hold the Z-axis reader head doesn't have mounting holes drilled yet... Once I get the track mounted, I'll drill those positions.

more than often then these igaging dro's and their mountings get way overboard. i know my first ones were a major operation with more concern than than wiring a 220V machine with the power still on...... yikes. . . that qualifies me as a "dumbass"
after doing a few of them, i figured out its a very forgiving task. I've used SUGRU to mount one, a self tapping metal screw into a nylon spacer for another, they are very light weight and forgiving. . . others have used wood and epoxy, whatever it takes to get them straight and secure. . . and i still have a few of them left for anyone thats interested. . . .

more than often then these igaging dro's and their mountings get way overboard...

Oh certainly, I know this is a bit silly, but I figure I have the luxury of taking my time and I like the problem-solving aspect. Also, I know myself well enough that I'd wind up feeling more than a bit disappointed in the long run if I didn't consider the aesthetics as well as the functionality.

i did the exact same kind of build when i put mine together. . . .

Update: Clearance & tolerances of the two track positions aren't quite what I'd like, so I've redesigned the brackets a bit more. The DROs I ordered still haven't arrived, so I'm a bit stuck until they arrive. Will post new pics when I have them mounted.

OK! DROs arrived yesterday afternoon.

Here's the updated z-axis bracket:

lathe-10.jpg

Mill set up for drilling the carriage and cross-slide for mounting points:

lathe-11.jpg
lathe-12.jpg

Tapping:

lathe-13.jpg

Installed from the back (still need to form and attach the flashing to protect the reader heads from swarf/oil):

lathe-14.jpg

And front:

lathe-15.jpg

And finally, the read-outs mounted using a length of OpenBeam and alum bracket:

lathe-16.jpg
lathe-17.jpg

Still to-do:
  • flashing to protect the reader heads
  • cable management
  • cleaning up the workbench (Just look at that mess!!)
  • on to the mill!

A lot of your pictures did not come out.
ken

Ok, Came back this afternoon ad they were there. So whatever worked it all out.
That looks nice. I may have to think about doing mine. Sure would be easier to do things within tolerances

Back