Sherline Mill 5400 or 5800 and Packages

You will probably want to get yourself a Machinery's Handbook. It doesn't need to be the latest version, there is a big savings in getting an older edition.

I found the guide that goes with it handy. I also got myself a copy of the Engineer's Black book which is very handy. It distills much of the more common info in the Machinery's Handbook into a more easily grasped format. Machinery's is kind of like reading an encyclopedia, the EBB is meant to be a quick reference.

Engineer's Black Book

You mentioned getting ball screws and a "CNC ready" configuration above, which sounded like you might be planning on going manual to begin with and then installing CNC later. Generally ball screws are going to require CNC control.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

You mentioned getting ball screws and a "CNC ready" configuration above, which sounded like you might be planning on going manual to begin with and then installing CNC later. Generally ball screws are going to require CNC control.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

I would verify that with Sherline directly whether you can just use it until CNC put on. I think it would be ok as long as the non moving axis was locked down like it should be anyway.

Thank you all for your great advice!

I'm going to stick with the 5400 mill as I think, Mike, you kind of confirmed my suspicions. I was also looking at larger mills for the same price. As you pointed out you can get a larger machine for the practically the same amount. My problem is space; I live inner city and in a relatively small apartment so space is at a premium. At this time and I think the 5400 is a good size for my needs. My work is going to be limited to smaller stuff for now and I'm fine with that.

I also appreciate your feedback on the package deal. I've been in contact with Sherline's sales department asking about getting the package with the mill upgraded with their new ball screws but will probably scale that back to just what I need from them and source the other tooling as you suggested.

Again thanks everyone for your help!
I use both in an apartment, just keep your work bench away from wall and put fairly thick rubber pads under your work bench. Also might want to look at making a swarf containment system.

Back