Sherline mill Z clearance

EricB

Registered
Registered
Is it me or has Sherline been exaggerating the Z clearance on their mills all these years? The current specs say 8" table to spindle (for the standard mill column) but I only find 7.5" on mine. The Z travel is right at 6.25" where it should be.

Just wondering.
Eric

I have the extended column on mine which adds 4", I've never measured to see if it is a full 12". I'm not home so I can't measure it right now.

It seems like machine measurements involve a bit of alchemy. Like the 9x19" / 9x20" lathes are the same machine, the only difference is whether it is sold with a live or dead center as as standard, the live center being a little longer resulting in a shorter center to center measurement.

If the discrepancy is only 1/2" it may just be that the measuring point isn't actually where one would assume it is. It also isn't uncommon for there to be a little bit of rounding or wishful thinking on smaller machines. Lots of 8-10" lathes and even some of the 11-12" fall short of their full claimed capacity rounding up to the closest whole number. The 9x20s mentioned above are only an 8-3/4" swing and several of the 10" lathes are only 9-1/2".

I have an extended column and a column spacer coming (soon I hope) so it isn't really an issue for me. I got my mill used but I think it's from this century. I was wondering if they changed the specs since mine was made or if they're all like that.

It is 8" to the face of the headstock, just not the spindle like they say.

Eric

I think you will appreciate the extended column. I don't have a lot of room to spare on mine, but I think height would be a frequent issue without it.

I finally have the extended column installed. Now I have 11.5" from the spindle to the table.
column upgrade.jpg
Looks kind of odd now.

Eric

I'll need another project to justify the cost to the Mrs. (She who must be obeyed!)

Eric

That sounds doable. I mean another project, there's a problem to have. :)

Cat

Back