Sherline mill

pjf134

Active User
Registered
Does anyone have a Sherline CNC mill and how do you like it? The reason I ask is a friend of mine has one and has no room for it. He wants me to set it up in my shop for both of us to use, it sounds like he has all of the goodies to go with it like computer, rotary table, tooling ect. Since I do not have a mill yet it sounds like a good idea for now. He also has a brand new in the box CNC lathe, which he has not taken out of the box yet. I don't know the model yet but it has x,y,z, feeds on the mill and uses Linux for codes. I do have to mill a t-nut for my new QCTP for the SB9A lathe, and I can use it for that at least. Any advice on setting it up will help, it's free to me so I have nothing to lose.
Thanks,
Paul

shadow,
I picked up the mill today along with the lathe and 2 big boxes filled with extras. The mill is model 2000 and the lathe is still in the box and I forgot to look for the model no. Both are CNC and I even got the computer but no monitor ( I have 4 extras so no big problem) some of the boxes have never been opened. I did see a rotory table, slitter, gear cutter, vices, collets, extender, end mills and some other stuff which I can't remember. I did spend some time today cleaning a table off to set all this up, I hope there is enough room for everything. No cost is a good price for me. I was looking to get a table top mill anyways, but this was a little smaller than I had in mind.
Once I get it set up I will take a picture.
Paul

Been busy lately with other stuff, but here is a pic of the CNC mill I got. I did make a t-nut for my QCTP for the SB 9a in manual mode because I did not have time to play with g-codes. It did the job, but took awile because I did not want to take a deep cut with it, I just took small cuts then increased from there, just trying to get a feel for what it can do. The new CNC lathe is still in the box, since I am using my SB to do stuff. I still am working on my SB, making sure everythings works right. I would like to play with the rotary table once I get some time. The pic is after I cleaned it up from the t-nut milling, did that in my shop and just moved the mill to my computer room in the house for now.
Paul

DCP_0470.JPG

Last edited by a moderator:
DaveH,
I also have a CNC Sherline lathe, but only used it once, it has the riser blocks with it, which makes it a 6". It does have some extras with it. I did hook up a rotary table on the mill, but have not used it yet, see pic. I have been using the South Bend 9A for things, it's been too hot in the shop lately, but I have been working on a big fan to put in the window, almost there. The tubeular fan weights about 100 lbs. so I will have to make a good support for it.
Paul

DCP_0472.JPG

DaveH,
While I was in the shop today I did take a pic of my Sherline lathe, it is set for 3 1/2" and I did not install the riser blocks yet since I use the SB9A for most of my projects. It is not hooked up to the computer yet and the mill is in my computer room in the house. When I get to installing vector I will try that first. What I plan on is draw in AUTOCAD transfer to vector to get my g-code then run in EMC2 if that will work. I have done AUTOCAD and Vector before in windows but never into a Linux system.
Paul

08-04-11_1555.jpg

Back