Sherline Rear Mount Cutoff Tool Holder Problem

Al D.

Registered
Registered
I am brand new to machine tools and bought my first lathe and mill a few days ago, both Sherline. The lathe is a 4000. I bought some accessories for it including a Rear Mount Cut Off Tool Holder part number 3018. Either I am not seeing something or the tool sits too high. The blade of the cutter goes right over the top of the aluminum rod I am practicing on. Did I but the wrong part for my lathe?

Thanks for any help.

Al D.

Yes but the blade of the cutter goes right over the work. Here is a picture of what it looks like.

Looks like you can only part off larger work :lmao:

Either they shipped the wrong tool holder, you ordered the wrong tool holder, it is assembled upside down, or you're going to have to machine about a 1/2 inch off of the bottom.

If it is assembled correctly and you have the tools, I would trim the bottom to fit. It could be faced off in a 4-jaw chuck if you don't have a mill.

On my Sherline I have a spacer block to raise the headstock , that tool holder probably is for the spacer block. you can always buy one to turn larger prodjects.

Looks like you can only part off larger work :lmao:

Either they shipped the wrong tool holder, you ordered the wrong tool holder, it is assembled upside down, or you're going to have to machine about a 1/2 inch off of the bottom.

If it is assembled correctly and you have the tools, I would trim the bottom to fit. It could be faced off in a 4-jaw chuck if you don't have a mill.
Jim,

I did get a Sherline mill with the deal I got. I was thinking it would make a great first mill project. My stuff did come with a tool I think is called a fly cutter. From what I have read it's the best tool to take some material off the bottom. I wonder if I got the tool holder to use with a riser?

Since you have your sherline mill, I say mill it off. If you cut too much by accident, you can add shims under it.

Also, it looks like you have wayyyy too much stickout on your practice piece. The general rule for stickout is twice the diameter. (3/4" stock should be a max 1.5" out)

I just went on the Sherline site and looked up the rear cutter PDF file, and it's a spacer block to use your original cut off tool . it's cut at an angle and explains how to adjust by turning around the block to raise and lower. so i stand corrected from my other post. the Sherline web site is great you can spend a day on it.

Thanks for all the help everybody. It looks like I have the tool holder for the risers. I'll play with the mill and try cutting it down. It will be a good simple first project.

Jim,

I did get a Sherline mill with the deal I got. I was thinking it would make a great first mill project. My stuff did come with a tool I think is called a fly cutter. From what I have read it's the best tool to take some material off the bottom. I wonder if I got the tool holder to use with a riser?

A fly cutter should work just fine. Take your time, make sure everything is squared up, and don't get to greedy with the Depth Of Cut (DOC). You're right, it will make a great first mill project.

Back