Sherline Squaring

PaulzOx

Registered
Registered
I'm trying to square up my Sherline 2000 (8 axis). Im finding it a little difficult. I'm a real newbie when it comes to machining.

How square is everyone else setting up their machines?

PaulzOx

Set all the dails on the machine to 0 will get you close and if you want to get it better use a dial indicator mounted in the chuck and run it in the x & y axis. I use a known good square for the vertical adjustments as is close enough for me. That pivot ball is a pain to get right. For someone new it should work out unless you want better then more dollars will be needed for tools. Take light cuts or else you will be adjusting more than milling parts. I have the 2000 CNC with a rotary table.
Paul

Umm, you should square it to zero in all axes. It can take some time until you get used to it but it is possible to get it set very accurately. If you normally work with a tooling plate on the table, be sure the table is flat in both the X and Y axes or it will screw you up. Then work on getting the Z-axis square to the table with an accurate solid square and DTI. Once that is done you can work on the aligning the column to the table in both the X and Y direction.

Use a good DTI and a decent holder. Take your time and get it to zero.

Thanks for the help. I should be able to get it all setup this weekend sometime, I hope!

PaulzOx

Finally got it all setup and made a few cuts. It seams to be working very well and as my luck has it my Uncle Sam needs me to deploy... Delayed for a few more weeks ugh!!!

PaulzOx

I back and scored a smoking deal.

I got a Sherline mill (5400), Sherline lathe (4000) and just about every sherline accessory (even multiples of some) for $1000.

They actually belonged to Phil Mattson a well known model ship builder. He passed away and his son wanted to sell it all to me for $1k even though I told him it was easily worth 3X that amount. He also had an original Manson lathe with the accessory kit, it looked brand new and fully functional.

Congrats, Paul - that is a smokin' deal!

Okay I am going to need some help from you guys on here. I have some tooling that I aquired with my awesome deal and I do not know what it is or what it is used for. I will take some pictures and post them here.

Okay I am going to need some help from you guys on here. I have some tooling that I aquired with my awesome deal and I do not know what it is or what it is used for. I will take some pictures and post them here.

Post pics! I'll help you. I love the SHerline gear, and still have a mill. I acquired a lathe in a similar way- with lots of stuff!! :)

Bernie

Back