Sherline "Tips"

Forty Niner

H-M Supporter - Silver Member
H-M Supporter - Silver Member
Sherline has a list of user submitted "Tips" that I find helpful.

I have recently used a couple of them. One is a simple lock for the Mill's Y axis (tip 28). The other is an adapter to use the Sherline lathe Compound Slide on the front side (tip 32). There are other Tips that are very interesting

This is the adapter I made. Ignore the brass screws please: I just haven't procured the right size steel screws. The unsharpened tool steel is just for reference. I made the adapter a bit longer than the Tip 32 shows and may cut it shorter after using it. The Tip doesn't give dimensions, so it is up to the individual how to make it.

Attachments

• IMG_2251.JPG
    IMG_2251.JPG
    1 MB · Views: 53
  • IMG_2254.JPG
    IMG_2254.JPG
    1.5 MB · Views: 50
  • IMG_2255.JPG
    IMG_2255.JPG
    1.3 MB · Views: 56
I meant to add that I saw that tip some time back and thought about making one. The reason it caught my eye was I thought I could use it for threading but you really can't because you cannot angle the tool independent of the compound, so I never made one. It can be used to cut tapers, though.

Actually, I'm working on a setup for threading using the compound slide and the adapter I just made. Ground the threading tool, set the angle bob's your uncle.

.IMG_2271.JPGIMG_2268.JPGIMG_2265.JPG

Last edited:
Yup, that might work. Keep us posted!

I ground the threading tool as planned and tried it out. Threading on the front side, feeding in with the compound slide, worked well.
There will be limitations on sizes and lengths of threads, of course, due to the size of the lathe.

I've done from 4-40 to 3/4-16 and many metric threads on the Sherline, plus many class3 threads. For larger threads, I go to the Super 11.

Very nice. I may have to make one of these. No dimensions provided on the Sherline tip. Could you provide dimensions on the holder you made?

Back