[How do I?] ...she's Gorgeous Running! Bandsaw Welder. 440vac. Convert To 220vac

here is a picture of the one i built, not hard a piece of angle iron, and a little machining, get some paste flux, sheet silver solder, and a map gas torch and you are set to go, also bulk ban d saw blade material.101_0678.jpg

I've found that for my little 16" Delta, its way cheaper to buy blades rather than keep stock on hand and weld or solder them up. Last batch of blades I bought were 1/4", 24 tooth and 8 blades ran me 110$ delivered. Called on Thursday afternoon and had them Tuesday morning. I try to keep several of the blades that I typically use on had at all times, so I'm rarely shut down for being out of a particular blade.
It may be different cost wise when I get the big 14x16 saw back going, but that will be a while still.

Thanks everyone for the help with the ne toy. I am doing a bit of both worlds. 1 the 3kva for $70 is a great deal. I pick it up tomorrow. I will mount a 480vac setup off the rpc. I have some 480 needs besides the welder. There is an old hardinge turret lathe my son wants to start working with. I will setup a special setup for both the blade welder and the lathe off the panel.

I have the silver solder on order. Toms techniques has an awesome video on a jig and doing the weld/braze with propane an a 50% + silver content stiff wire.

I have setup the welder on the 240vac just to try it. It does glow and seems to melt the blades but takes too long and does not really melt but soften.
...again thanks to the great folks here on HM. CG.

Everyone, Thank for all the great info! Today I welded my first blade. Cleaned up the blade path. Put in new guides. And just ...WOW. I LOVE this thing already. SaaaaWeeet unit! I popped on the 3KVA and wham! under 2 seconds to weld the 1/2" with the welder.
This is just too much fun being married to the shop! ;-) So the Knights in play. Whats next???? I think maybe a TIG welder. yeah... Christmas idea for the Misses. I'll pop an ad in her 'look' magazine. write a book report titled 'what I would do w/ a TIG bb gun". (movie scene steal... sorry) Enjoy the Fall everyone! Gorgeous here in MI.

The blade welder on my Grob 4v-18 is 220 single phase. The saw itself is 220 3phase. I guess they make several different types.

I liked the video. The trick is the anneal of the finished weld. The proof of a great weld is the flex test. I hated making blades either they broke during the flexing or when tightening the tension.

I had the same problem Bill.
Did a couple of blades and they lasted about a week on the saw then broke again at the weld.

Back