Shifter arm for Hurst shifter

outsider347

Active User
Registered
I need to make a longer shifter shaft for my Hurst body.
Needs to be about 25 in with the curve in the "normal" profile.

What type steel should I use that will hold up well?

Not a race car application, maybe some street antics though

Tks Gents
ed

How much more do you need? Why not just make an extension, or a taller knob? As far as materials, I don't see needing anything special.

Made one for a Saleen Mustang, but it didn't need to be that high. Made mine out of flat stainless to look like the old style Hurst shifter I had back in the day.

Kinda piecing the shifter together....didn't get the handle.
Thought about making it out of SS....but too much to cut

Tks Jim. I know that Hurst sells replacement pieces, but I'm more than "kinda cheep" . So at100.00 + ship, I'm hoping to make one.
.5 aluminum sounds like a good idea

I think you would be fine drawing your profile on a piece of 3/16 mild steel plate. Slot the top to receive a cut off grade 5 bolt, 3/8-24 if memory serves. If your so inclined you could temper it, but I think you would be fine without. I've made some from old cut off truck shift levers and bar stock for my 67 F-250, TKO 600 conversion. Mike

CIMG0015.jpg
CIMG0001.JPG

I'd go with a medium-wall seamless steel tubing. Put my bends in it and then about half flatten it to get a rectangular shape with heavily radiused corners. Mill out whatever ends I needed for the shift knob and linkage to slip in and weld them in place. Grind the welds down, sand it all good and smooth, and then have it chromed.

That's what I'd do.

What is .the application. Hurst makes them out of round tub,, flat steel bar and flat aluminum bar.

Back