Shimming a mini-mill - a few questions

chris.trotter

Registered
Registered
So I've done a lot of reading, but being stuck in 'not America' plus on a limited budget, I'm hesitant to buy what I think might be 'the right solution' when maybe I don't need something so fancy. To further clarify what answers will help - I am in awe of stuff that Starrett and the like make, but only buy ebay special tools, for the most part - budget is just not there.

I have a solid column mini-mill (SX2P) that has four small contact patches between the column and base. My reading tells me to buy the LittleMachineShop kit with indicator arm, plastic shim stock, and dial test indicator.

However, after shipping/dollar conversion, a $56USD item turns into $100CAD - that is a hefty dent in my monthly tool budget, and by dent I mean 'allofit'.

Further compounding the issue is my apparent inability to find shim stock cheaper than what LMS sells (even with shipping/conversion!) - everywhere I've looked, it's surprisingly expensive.

So, my questions...
- Shim stock that isn't crazy money...ideas? (saw someone use aluminum foil! that seems bad...)
- Dial test indicator, a necessity? (kinda thinking 'yes'...)
- Fancy indicator arm - nice to have or kinda necessary for many tasks? (fwiw, I have a Noga mini - Christmas present! - not sure if you can just mag-base to the spindle for similar results)

If 'yes' is the answer for all those (lol, even the shim stock question), guess I'm dropping a hundy with LMS. :D

If I can use the Noga mini on the spindle, then I can just buy the shim stock and get a DTI off ebay or whatever.

Thanks!

Hi Chris,
simplicity usually rules out over complexity, if given half a chance.

in the US we have Graingers and McMaster Carr to buy shim stock and the like from.
possibly a bearing house in your area maybe able to provide you with shimstock in many thicknesses.
i bought a .003" X 6" wide x 50" long hard stainless shim stock at Grainger last week for $22 USD

a simple .01mm dial indicator would most likely be good enough for most of the work you'll do.
that is unless you tackle some very precise work.

i own and use the import versions of the Noga holders you are describing as well as mighty mags and shopmade holders too
it doesn't have to be expensive to work well

i have shimstock in .005" and .003", neither weight very much.
if you have a hard time getting some, i'd be happy to supply you with a care package at no charge

i have shimstock in .005" and .003", neither weight very much.
if you have a hard time getting some, i'd be happy to supply you with a care package at no charge

Very generous of you! You might change your mind when you have to fill out the shipping forms to get stuff over the border. ;)

I'll ask around for local stuff and see what I can come up with. Probably would be handy for other Canadian folk to know where they can get this. Actually, now that I think about it - a list of GTA (Greater Toronto Area) suppliers was posted the other day, have to look at that!

Regarding simplicity - good to know about dial indicators being mostly sufficient. I did read up on the difference between DTI and DI, but found so many people out there doing this type of procedure with a DTI that, well... it must be 'the right way'! I'll be referring to threads like this when I do my initial tram attempt: Squaring a stubborn x2 head

A cheap option to shim stock is a cheap feeler gauge set. If you can, buy the long ones and get two of them. Cut what you need and save the rest. Or you can take Mike up on his generous offer!

You need a dial test indicator (0.0005") to tram the vise (and for many other uses). To tram the column a simple dial indicator, either the standard drop indicator type or back plunger type, will do. You can also use a dial test indicator to tram the column but it isn't necessary and it is more hassle to use it that way.

For tramming the mill column or vise you can use the magnetic holder and latch it onto the quill. You cannot do this for locating holes but for tramming, it will work fine.

A cheap option to shim stock is a cheap feeler gauge set. If you can, buy the long ones and get two of them. Cut what you need and save the rest.
Nice!! I like it.
You need a dial test indicator (0.0005") to tram the vise (and for many other uses).
And apparently it was the right way. lol
For tramming the mill column or vise you can use the magnetic holder and latch it onto the quill.
Yay \o/

The feeler gauges I can definitely get around here. I wonder if my neighbour would lend me his DTI...with supervision... (he's a retired tool/die guy)

If you're really stuck on wanting to buy some, Acklands-Grainger, Fastenal, etc if they'll sell to you. Sometimes they won't deal with non-commercial. Precision engine shops like JB Precision should have it. Even Lee Valley carries some in brass.

image.png

-frank

The best shim stock for your application is made from a material that works, steel, aluminum, copper/brass/bronze, assorted polymers, cheese curd, paper, the skins of endangered mammals, iron oxide, very thin mints, the tears of a clown, and possibly air. I would do more research before making a decision however.

The choices appear endless

Back