Ship Cleaning help needed - sorta

Groundhog

Registered
Registered
Hey all, I just inherited this model ship from my late uncle. It is the "Fragata Espanola" and is covered with about an inch of dust (a model inch anyway). Anyone have any ideas how to clean it? Although it isn't really delicate except for the old cotton string I don't think compressed air will get it really clean. A friend thought I should try just soaking it in the bath tub with some Dawn.
I figured that since someone or another here seems to always have an answer for any problem, this should be an easy one. Thanks!!

0595.jpg

Looking forward to an answer, I have a couple that need cleaning too.

Greg

What is the primary material? Wood, plastic, metal?

At first blush I would strongly caution about the use of water -- if any materials (sheets, lines, sails, etc) are natural the results may be dramatic and most likely a dismal failure. Shrinking, staining, bleeding, and any loss of starch (if those sail fabrics are indeed real fabric) would be almost guaranteed.

I often work very closely with conservators of art objects, and most often a gentle breeze (either negative or positive airflow) would be a good starting point. Photographer bulb with natural bristle fine brush end to gently loosen the dust, small compressed air canisters such as for computer cleaning also work well. Resist the temptation for full-on compressed shop air -- again, dramatic results are almost guaranteed.

Scrubbing will likely introduce staining and grinding of the soiling deeper. Resist this temptation, gentle brushing along with air are preferred. If it does not move the accretions, step back and reconsider the options, materials, and ultimate desired result. Some things will not come clean again without significant intervention under trained hands, and that is usually quite pricey.

Again, an assessment of the primary as well as supplementary materials would be useful in determining a proper treatment.

-frank

CO2 method. I've used it for recovering water damaged documents.
I found out about it years ago because it is used in the restoration/recovery of old books and such.
-=- Wiki -=-
-=- General Search -=-

Use one of those "powder" brushes that ladies use, thick soft bristle brush, available at most drugstores in the lipstick and nail polish section. Have a fan blowing to carry away the dust as you brush.
Mark

Last edited:
+1 on the low pressure air brush. Also you might experiment with using masking tape to lift off dust from some or all of the surfaces.

Back