Shizouka An-s Build

alloy

Dan, Retired old fart
H-M Supporter Gold Member
Well slight plan change.

Since the DSMPC was two weeks out I decided to look on Ebay for one. And guess what I found for $900 instead?

And it's local so I'm going to pick it up tonight and take it out to Jim' place tomorrow.

Jim said since I found this for such an unbelievable price I should go buy a lotto ticket and quit my job :) New it's $3200!!!

$_57.JPG

Got the 4080 out to Jim and it seems to work just fine. Has it hooked up to Mach3 and he is jogging it offline.

I've added some links to parts I've bought hoping they will be helpful and save some money on others projects.

Have stepper motors ordered for the speed control and the tool changer.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/221424267383?_trksid=p2059210.m2749.l2649&ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:IT

My touch screen monitor came in and it looks great. For $135 shipped it was a great deal. Looks brand new not refurbished at all.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/171708856705?_trksid=p2059210.m2749.l2649&ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:IT

Got my breakout boards from Winford for half the price of the ones from Galil.
http://www.winfordeng.com/products/brksd26hd.php They shipped the same day I placed my order.

My magnetic Renishaw scale tape off Ebay also. I wanted to order from a US supplier but they were well over $100 more for 2 meters of tape.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/331023801182?_trksid=p2059210.m2749.l2649&ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:IT

The Renishaw LM10 reader heads came off Ebay for $80 each, but he seems to have pulled his listing. He had them for $100 and I made him and offer on 4 and he accepted it.

I need to figure out how to attach the monitor to my pendant box. There is a very small (about 1/8" lip) around the outside edge of the monitor and I can enlarge the opening so it fits tightly into the opening, but need to find a way of attaching it with some kind of clamps or something on the back of the monitor to hold it in place.
Haven't go that figured out just yet.

20150313_151752.jpg

20150313_151736.jpg

monitor.jpg

panel.jpg Got a little done today. Worked on the power panel. Tomorrow hopefully I'll get the panel with all the motion control stuff done, then comes running all the wiring.

Last edited by a moderator:
Though I'd start a thread on my build in the correct forum.

I'm not going to repost everything in my other thread, just going to start this from where the other thread left off.

Got some more work done today. Got the control panel parts mounted on DIN rails. Also got the panel mounted.

We pulled apart the tool changer. Going to add a stepper motor to run it instead of the huge mess of old electronics that it has. Jim gutted the board out of it, and I got the motor pulled and took apart the drive mechanism. Very interesting the way they did the drive setup. They made a Geneva mechanism and drove it with a gear head motor.

We are going to do away with the Geneva mechanism and mount the stepper motor directly driving the sprocket. Hope fully this will work out.

20150321_154754.jpg

Here is the control cabinet. Got the motion controller, the stepper controllers and all the breakout boards mounted and the power supply for the steppers. Another stepper will be running the speed control We are going to only use one power supply since both steppers will never be running a the same time. Also got the the cabinet hung on the side of the mill.
20150321_160901.jpg
20150321_191444.jpg 20150321_154908.jpg

Got more done this weekend. Have pretty much all of the wiring done in the power cabinet. Took a day and a half to get it wired, but it came out petty well.

20150328_160944.jpg 20150328_163107.jpg

WOW, that 8 axis control looks great.

If Mach will let you put one axis on the spindle for rigid tapping and gear hobbing using a 4rth axis.

Also, if Mach will let you, connect an axis to your MPG ( manual pulse generator) or hand wheel for fine jog. If this control has auxiliary encoders, that's an even better place for this.

This is going to be one kick a$$ machine.

Karl

I got very lucky finding the Galil 8 axis. The price was unbelievable. I really don't think the seller knew what they had. They were a wholesale company an sold everything from the control to overalls. I was going with a 6 axis Vital Systems control for about $1200 but they were out of stock. I decided to look on Ebay for a used one and found the Galil. And the Galil was local to me which was amazing in itself.

We are using an axis for X,Y, and Z, and reserving one for a 4th. And using 2 more axis on the tool changer and speed control. That leaves 2 left for something down the road. I looked at Mach and rigid tapping isn't implemented.

I did pick up an MPG but I'm not sure exactly how it hooks up. As I've said before, I'm just the muscle on this build, Jim is the brains of the operation. He can answer on how the MPG is hooked up.

I do think it will be a great machine. There is a lot of work left to get to that point. But when I'm done it will be something I can be proud of.

Last edited:
WOW, that 8 axis control looks great.

If Mach will let you put one axis on the spindle for rigid tapping and gear hobbing using a 4rth axis.

Also, if Mach will let you, connect an axis to your MPG ( manual pulse generator) or hand wheel for fine jog. If this control has auxiliary encoders, that's an even better place for this.

This is going to be one kick a$$ machine.

Karl

The spindle will be tied to one of the spare axis. The Shizouka has a gear in head that always turns at spindle speed so we're putting two 4mm prox sensors in to read the teeth for position and speed. The two sensors will give the same effect as an A-B encoder for speed and direction. We'll get about 500 PPR resolution.

The MPG will also be tied to it's own axis, rather than one of the Aux axes. There is an Aux axis for each of the main axis, but two of them will be used for the stepper drives on the tool changer and the spindle speed control. When the MPG is set to an axis, there will be code that will slave the target axis to the MPG axis.

I'm not sure how Mach3 will handle all of this stuff, it's going to be an interesting setup and learning curve. I'm sure I will be writing a lot of code in the Galil to get it all to work. The tool changer will operate as an independent program in the Galil, I'll just have to wait and see how Mach3 triggers the tool change. I suspect I will be spending some time on the Mach forums.

Jim, you likely don't need the help, but I'm an accomplished Galil programmer. Pretty arcane language, not many of us around.

If you have nine spare inputs, I can give you one fine JOG program.

I'll be following your work VERY closely.

Karl

Back