Shizouka An-s Build

A little update.

We reached a major milestone yesterday, the servos are now under computer control. We started with servo drives and motors of unknown condition. Turns out they are fine. Was able to move the table and quill, accurately! :encourage: The Mach3 DRO is actually reading the position correctly! Took a few hours to debug the limit switches, correct a few wiring glitches, and get the motors and encoders all working in the same direction.

Got the tool changer working, at least going through the motions, it's under computer control also.

Will continue the checkout today, get the MPG working correctly, and a few other odds & ends.

The next steps are to install the power draw bar and build the hardware for the spindle speed control and the spindle tach.

Getting close to complete! Will be making chips soon! Will post some pictures later.

A few more pics.

Here is the control cabinet. I spent a couple of hours yesterday on it doing wire management.

rsz_20150801_123912.jpg Here is the Z axis box. On the left you can see the Renishaw reader head and he mag scale tape. We replaced all the old limit switches with new ones.

rsz_20150725_123315.jpg

And here is the face plate Jim made for Z axis.
20150725_160421.jpg

Well more progress. I have to say Jim is truly amazing. He has the machine running G-code now. Today I got the lube pump back on and working, new cooling fans in the power cabinet, and some work on the Y axis belt setup and motor mount. I actually ran out of work to do today. Means we are getting close to a fully functional machine :)

Jim found that there is backlash in the X axis ball screw. We are going to see if we can adjust it out.

The tool changer is indexing accurately now. It looks a lot different than the mess of wiring it had originally.

We still have to make a mount for the stepper motor for the speed changer, and get the motor mounted and wired up. Also need to get the VFD mounted and wired, get the power draw bar working and under computer control. I just bought a new coolant pump off fleabay tonight. I also needs to be mounted and wired up,and get the spindle brake working. Jim is working on a design for a proximity sensor mount to go in the head so the computer can read spindle speed.

At least now I can see a light at the end of the tunnel. I don't even know how to start thanking Jim for everything he has done for me.

20150807_121841.jpg

A couple of current pictures. We had the table off today correcting about 0.005 backlash in the X leadscrew, and getting the leadscrew oiler to work. The X-axis drive motor is not re-installed yet.

The tool changer is working, and the machine runs G-code. Two major milestones. Now if I can just figure out how to get Mach3 to trigger the tool change routine, life will be good. Mach3 and I don't play well together. Next is the spindle tach install, and the auto vari-speed control. Then on to the power drawbar. Once those 3 items are complete, it's ready to make chips!

IMG_0267.jpg

IMG_0268.jpg

A couple of current pictures. We had the table off today correcting about 0.005 backlash in the X leadscrew, and getting the leadscrew oiler to work. The X-axis drive motor is not re-installed yet.

The tool changer is working, and the machine runs G-code. Two major milestones. Now if I can just figure out how to get Mach3 to trigger the tool change routine, life will be good. Mach3 and I don't play well together. Next is the spindle tach install, and the auto vari-speed control. Then on to the power drawbar. Once those 3 items are complete, it's ready to make chips!

View attachment 108545

View attachment 108546
Nice job on the tool changer! That is what I would like to do with my Shizuoka, but I need to keep it making parts. I thought about using a PLC to control the TC In a similar fashion. I do not know enougH about the ladder programming however.

Are you going to retain the ability to do manual tool changes as well as full auto functionality?
Have you looked any at the M6start macro stuff?

There is a section on the mach forums for vs macro stuff.

Jim

Thank you!

It will do manual tool changes. It can be done by simply stuffing the tool into the spindle and hitting the Tool-In button, or can manually load a tool from the tool changer by switching the TC mode to manual and selecting the tool.

I would be happy to help you out with the ladder programming. You can pick up a Micro Brick PLC for about $125.

I need to study the macro section a bit more, I don't fully understand all of the fine points yet. I suspect by the time I get done with this project, I'll have a much better understanding.

Jastine,

Is your mill an AN-S? If it is do you have any manuals for it?

We have one on the tool changer but that's it.

Jastine,

Is your mill an AN-S? If it is do you have any manuals for it?

We have one on the tool changer but that's it.
Hi alloy:

Yes, It is the same machine.

As I mentioned to JimD. at the Mach forum, I have most of the manuals for the machine with a summit /bandit control. Electrical schematics and mechanicals. Let me know and I can see if I have what you need and scan it.

Jim S

Its good to know another AN-S owner.

Jim has pretty much made his own electrical schematics for the mill, what would be helpful is a copy of the parts manual. I'll gladly pay you for your time and expenses to copy it.

And since you have the same tool changer I have a number of spare parts we pulled and won't be using. If you need anything or just want spares let me know.

I just looked over the Shizuoka manual and there are about 10 pages which may be of interest. From the looks of it, you already have been into at least half of them! I will scan later on and post them or email if you like.

I might be interested in the remnants! Either that or convert mine like you did.

Cheers, JimS

Back