Shop Apron

I didn't use an apron when welding, but I did learn how a synthetic fabric jacket responds to tiny flying morsels of molten metal during an emergency welding repair ! The other welding thrill I think too many have experienced is when a bead makes it way in to your shoe.

When I was in college and involved in amateur radio one of the things I built was a VHF coaxial cavity filter for a repeater. This involved soldering copper disks (i.e., pennies) to the ends of copper tubes. Being a college kid, I often did not wear socks. I was hard at work doing the aforementioned soldering, wearing shorts, ankle-height boots, and no socks, when one of those pennies, covered in hot liquid solder, fell into my boot. I got the boot off very, very, very quickly, but not quickly enough. You wouldn't think that you could solder copper to flesh, would you? The scar is gone, now.

I usually wear a shop apron because I'm way too lazy to change clothes before working in the shop :). I got mine at McMaster-Carr, which has a nice selection of aprons with swing pockets: http://www.mcmaster.com/#catalog/120/1795/=qpj75r.

The only problem is that my 6" scale disappears down the narrow pocket, which is just a little deeper than 6 inches. So I'm planning to stitch across the narrow pocket, about 1" from bottom so the scale sticks out a little and I don't have to go fishing for it every time.

Tom

I use an apron about 75% of the time. The other 25% I either forget or think I'll only be a minute.

My apron was custom made by one of my cousins. It is denim and has the swinging pocket as well as three other small narrow pockets for a scale, scribe and pencil. It also has 2 pockets low on each side. I just have string tied to the brass eye loops for tying on the apron. It is due for a cleaning so it must be doing its job.

I guess I have an additional 6 or 7 that were either store bought or home made sitting in the drawer.

Paul

OK Guys, what the heck are SWING POCKETS? :think1:

OK Guys, what the heck are SWING POCKETS? :think1:

And to think I was too embarrassed to ask, because "everyone knows what they are". Well I don't either.

David

And to think I was too embarrassed to ask, because "everyone knows what they are". Well I don't either.

David

Pockets that are not sewn to the apron only at the top so they swing if you put anything in them can be a pain.

Todd

Swinging pocket, what they are made for is your micrometer. It is designed so when you bend over your mic will stay put. You don't want to be dropping that. Toolmakers and machinist use aprons with this option.

Paul

Back