Shop build beast of a chop saw

I started this build couple of months ago thinking i'll finish it in a week or two so i continued writing about it in the question & answer section where i had couple of questions, but because is drag on for so long i've decided to move it in the project section.

Today i had very little time to spare but i did managed to do little machining on the lathe, started with an 60mm small piece of softer steel, it was centre drilled so i started with smaller drill bit and drill it all the way thru and up to 29mm, then used a small boring bar to get it to a tight slip fit with the spindle. Then i relieved one side and cut an o ring groove which i plan to install on both sides to keep the dust out and protect the bearings. i'll fix this pulley blank to the spindle with couple of dal set screws and i'll do the cutting of belt drive grove on the spindle it self.DSC_0111.JPGDSC_0114.JPGDSC_0115.JPGDSC_0118.JPG

Today i found about an hour of free time so i started on the arm that will hold the motor and the spindle, first i measured and marked than i used an angle grinder to cut and form the end to fit over the piece of pipe i machined earlier, the square tubing i used is is 3,5 mm wall and i'll use two pieces in parallel for added stiffness for precision and strength.
DSC_0113.JPGDSC_0114.JPGDSC_0118.JPGDSC_0121.JPG

Looks like I'd be to weak to build it , good and stout that's for sure . What size wheels are you planning on using ?? Looks like it could run a 24" diameter abrasive and never even slow down.

I plan to make it to accept 400mm cutting stone, but most common size of stones here is 230mm and 330mm, my ambition is to make it precise and easy to use, ( work horse).

Lately i've been working close to 80 hours a week at work which doesn't leave me much free time to work on my projects but i did managed to get some work done on the arm for this chop saw. I spend some time clamping, tack welding and checking to get the bearing housing 90 degrees to the arm also to keep the two tubes from twisting, welded them at 160a which is the max of my mig, took one brake to let the mig gun cool down. I did check it after it cooled down and is straight, not bad for couple of hours work.
DSC_0163.JPGDSC_0165.JPG

Today i had some work on the lathe, after i finish it wanted to fix this belt pulley blank on the spindle, first had to chamfer the end, it pushed some material when parting it off. Then i took it in the big garage to place it and drill it for set screws, i plan to run 3 or 6 harden locating set screws but my threading tap fail on the first hole, so i stopped tomorrow i'll get another tap and continued, i'm debating should i cut the v belt grove at 38 degrees or 40 degrees.
DSC_0240JPG.jpg
DSC_0242JPG.jpg
DSC_0244JPG.jpg

Today i continued with threading the holes and fixing the blank to the spindle, i used some super high quality hardened set screws. When i fixed it in place i chucked it up in my lathe, also i supported the other end with a live centre then i first cut 4mm groove close to the bottom. Then i rotated my tailstock and started cutting one side then rotated it again to cut the other side, its not hard just takes time to get both sides same, i used a cheap china grooving insert holder and a fresh sandvik insert.
DSC_0267.JPGDSC_0284.JPGDSC_0286.JPGDSC_0287.JPGDSC_0288.JPGDSC_0292.JPG

Today decided to make the flanges for the stones i can accurately measure where to place the entire assembly, but before i could measure for them i press in the bearings and the spindle. Then i took my measurements and looked around for material, i decided to make the flanges same size as the bearing carrier that way they can clamp on the stone tight. Only material close to this size was this old axle so i used it, i put it in my lathe's chuck, indicated it and just as i turn on the lathe i heard a loud nose which i recognised right away, to be a drive belt coming apart and hitting the cover. So i took the cover off and seen the middle belt has fell apart so i cut it off and left the rest alone, it has 4 left which should be enough till one more lets go then i'll replace all of them. After installing the cover back on the lathe i quickly made the flanges, i made two back flanges in different sizes for different stone centre bore and one front, i was filling productive at the end of the job so i grabbed my letters and numbers and stamp them so i can recognise them more easily.
DSC_0198.JPGDSC_0199.JPGDSC_0201.JPGDSC_0204.JPGDSC_0205.JPGDSC_0206.JPGDSC_0209.JPGDSC_0210.JPG

Today i spent a full day in the garage, and mainly worked on this project, all the setup, measuring adjusting took alot of time also cutting and welding this thick of steel was hard work. I focused on getting it done so all the pictures are taken when i finish for the day. As you can see i made the pivot point a bit high so i can cut bigger diameter tubing, i also place it feter back so i can use stone 450mm in diameter. the electric motor is a beast, one person can't pick it up so i used my engine crane to move it around. The motor has two broken feet wich made mounting it little bit of a challenge, i had to drill and tap holes in the side to mount it on a plate which is supported also from underneath with slotted plates so i can move it backwards and forwards to tension the belt, i might need to move the motor forward because needs lots of force just to bring the blade down. I need to figure out what style of handle i'm using on it and should i run an off / on switch via motor starter on the handle it self ?
DSC_0184.JPG
DSC_0177.JPGDSC_0179.JPGDSC_0178.JPGDSC_0180.JPG

Back