Shop build beast of a chop saw

I started this build couple of months ago thinking i'll finish it in a week or two so i continued writing about it in the question & answer section where i had couple of questions, but because is drag on for so long i've decided to move it in the project section.

Had a machine like that in a steel-mill I used to work at.

I have used "banjo bolts" for lubrication on motorcycles. But they were with light oil (SAE 20) under steady pressure. For your application, I would prefer "zerks" with a shot of mid-weight grease maybe every 10-20 hours use. That's just my preferences, now. I may be a little heavy handed with lubrication.

On balancing, don't worry about it. Make it work first. Then add a few weights to balance it. Much easier that way.

And congrats on the motor. I haven't seen that type since the pipe shop days. Runs forever, with only occasional checks for bearings and ground leakage. Of course, mine were 480 but that's just a difference in distribution systems.

Bill Hudson
Artificer(Ret)​

I have used "banjo bolts" for lubrication on motorcycles. But they were with light oil (SAE 20) under steady pressure. For your application, I would prefer "zerks" with a shot of mid-w

I presume you are talking about the pivot bolt, which i've covered in previous thread, i've drilled and cross drilled also threaded M6 for zerk fitting wich i'll install and pump it with grease when the machine gets painted.
DSC_0089.JPG
When i went to look at the motor i didn't realize that it doesn't have a fan or that is cast iron not aluminium but the bearings wore quiet and was cheap, i started to realize something's odd when i couldn't pick it up from the trunk of my car and realized that is truly industrial motor.

I've been wanting to do more work on this project but have been too busy, so i've taken the smallest job i could, that beast of a motor had a broken mounting plate for the wires, looks like someone went in with pliers and broke the bakelite insulator. Been such odd shape it wasn't easy to remake so i used some extra strong adhesive to glue it, the red tape on the sides is to hold it in place temporary then i made new bridges and install new stainless screws, the simplest job, is all i had time for.
DSC_0176.JPGDSC_0182.JPG

Last couple of days i've been busy but late last night i managed to finish the simplest job, i assembled the wire plate, also started to buy and look thru my spare electrical parts to wire it, i'll need to make or found an metal electrical box as a plastic one will probably get broken or melted.
DSC_0194.JPG

Today i spend considerable time working on this project, i started with couple of scrap rusty pieces of thick sheet metal at first i was going just to tack weld it so i can figure where to relive it for removal, but got carried away welding and had to cut it to pieces to remove it, i'll have to figure something else to make it safe also removable.
DSC_0166.JPGDSC_0167.JPGDSC_0168.JPG

Back