Shop fire safety

A shop fire will make you cry. It made me cry 2-1/2 years ago while I was finishing my outbuilding shop. The car got torched, and my shop was in the basement garage at the time, so all the bare metal on my tools flash rusted deep brown from the pyrochemistry. I have 50 lbs. worth of fire extinguishers in reach from all four corners of my new shop building now.
IMAG0877.jpgIMAG0896.jpgIMAG0897.jpg

A shop fire will make you cry. It made me cry 2-1/2 years ago while I was finishing my outbuilding shop. The car got torched, and my shop was in the basement garage at the time, so all the bare metal on my tools flash rusted deep brown from the pyrochemistry. I have 50 lbs. worth of fire extinguishers in reach from all four corners of my new shop building now.
View attachment 432029View attachment 432030View attachment 432031
Total Bummer!

I have had people make fun of me for the amount of Fire Extinguishers I keep mounted all over the place.

Total Bummer!

I have had people make fun of me for the amount of Fire Extinguishers I keep mounted all over the place.
They can laugh all they want. Fire is very fast, very scary, and very expensive. I had a 10 lb extinguisher near the door, and a 5 lb near the stairs when that fire happened, I just didn't expect to have to crawl out the window of a stalled, burning vehicle, and that threw me well off my game. There was too much fire/smoke to run back into the flames for an extinguisher. I was extremely busy shi!tting my pants over what my wife was going to say about burning down my car and shop and almost the house. My neighbor came over and asked where my garden hose was. About five minutes of hose wrestling and the fire department showed up (my house is two blocks from the station, maybe 150-200 yards). It was a real bad day, and I never got over it.

I have a metal trash can outside the shop door (these are hard to find lately). Every oily rag, empty oil can, empty spray can goes in there at the end of the day. Too many flammable already in there.

Back