Shop Lights

dweed1531

Registered
Registered
My ceiling is about 12 feet high.

What do most of you guys use? T8s or t5s?

I had a electrician out to quote. He said 6 2 light t5 setup with 41k would be best.

It's 24 x 24.

From what I read. T5 isn't enough of a difference then t8 for the cost.

Also when purchasing. I know to not get electromagnetic.

What else do I need to look out to get the setup right?

I have 8' T12 lamps on an 8 foot ceiling, 24 x 24 shop, as general shop lighting. Four 2-lamp fixtures. Each machine has local lighting, as needed.

I don't know the answer to your question but I can share my experience. I had my 22'x30' shop lit with 8 T12 fixtures. The fixtures were aging and overall the lighting was inadequate. At first I tried replacing one fixture with a T5 as a test. The lights are set at about 8' high in my shop and the T5 was just too bright. At 8' high it was just too uncomfortable to be around. If it were higher and more out of your direct line if sight, it might have been ok. I ended up changing out all of the fixtures with 4' 2 bulb T8 fixtures. This turned out to be just right in my shop and provided the upgrade from the old T12's I was looking for. Also the T8 fixtures and bulbs were a fraction of the cost of the T5's. One other thing to consider is that my shop has dark brown peg board walls and absorbs a lot of light. If I had white walls, I think I could have used less fixtures.

Good luck with your decision!

My ceiling is at 14' and i went with the "dim lights high- bright lights low" sort of approach, too. 60 x 100 shop.
Like wawoodman, In the big bay (60 x 75) I have 10 incandescent (!) fixtures with LED bulbs at full height, which is good enough to get around and see where you're going. Then at each machine and bench, went with a bunch of 4' fixtures and LED tubes down closer, depending on what was going on.
In the little bay (60 x 25) there's six 8' fixtures at full height. Good lighting in there, but still burning full fluorescent.
Never regretted the LED choice.

Wrat

You need to know the lumen output of the fixture to compare the T5 to the T8 fixtures. T5 lights are usually high output lamps. LED would be the cost effective fixture in the long run and will start in a cold shop. Some fixtures will accept dual switching and dimming if required for your use. All the newer ballasts should be electronic so don't worry about the type ballast in the fixture.
Wire the shop for ceiling receptacles and you can chain hang the fixtures to get more light where you need it if clearance isn't an issue.
T12s are all but dead so stay away from them.

I have 10' ceilings in my shop building. In the wood shop side which was built first I have t12 fixtures. The size of the shop is 26x32 and I have six 8' two lamp t12 fixtures that draw about 14 amps. The lighting is adequate but could be improved upon. I do have individual lighting at some of the various machines. Last year I added on a 28x32 addition to gain some well needed room in the original shop.
I divided the new addition about in half and finished off a 16x28 area for my machine shop. It has all white steel walls and ceiling which are also at a 10' height. In this side I used twelve 4' two lamp t8 fixtures. There is quite a difference in light output and the amp draw is 7-1/2 . The wood shop side is also finished off with wood walls and ceiling which are painted white. For the cost of the fixtures and the power to operate them, I think the t8s are a good buy for the money.
I know that led's are the new thing but for me right now I don't think they are cost effective for me at this time. I do have a few 4' led fixtures at my lathe and milling machine and they do work well.

Big box store has 4' LED shop lights for about $6 more than fluorescent shop lights. 25% less power used and practically life-time lamps. Power savings and 1 or 2 lamp changes and they become cost effective.

My shop is 27X30X10 and I have 6 8' florescent fixtures converted to LED each fixture puts out 13,000 lumens. It is nice and bright.

Rick

+1 on LED, I converted my shop and house to 100% LED lighting and love it. Nice quality light and super cheap to run. I couldn't imagine a situation where fluorescent lamps would be a better option.

Where did you get the leds? Lowe's or home depot?

I also want to hardwire whatever I decide.

I'm having a tough time finding led lights that I can hardwire.

Last edited:
Back