Cross Drilling Fixture from an AXA Boring Tool Holder!
i had an idea to make a cross drilling fixture for my shenwai 1236 lathes' AXA clone toolpost.
an old 19.2 craftsman drill is powering the works.:grin:
estimated total project cost= under $5 (i had everything on hand and had to assign a nominal cost:cool 2:)
thanks for looking!

(/me dusting off thread) Just saw this, I hope you made several of these to give out as gifts next Christmas, since I didn't find one in my stocking this Christmas. :grin:
Here's mine. A Foredom type hand piece driven by a flexshaft going back to a 3600RPM old KitchenAid dishwasher motor.
(Can't find a pict of the motor...) Rube Goldberg has got nuthin' on me!
I wonder if I can re-do this into the holder style you used...
1516411705168.png
Grinder mode, before I got the Dumore. Actually worked out for finish grinding the ends of 1/2" Dia. rods to size. (NOT with that wheel...)
1516411828616.png

(/me dusting off thread) Just saw this, I hope you made several of these to give out as gifts next Christmas, since I didn't find one in my stocking this Christmas. :grin:
Here's mine. A Foredom type hand piece driven by a flexshaft going back to a 3600RPM old KitchenAid dishwasher motor.
(Can't find a pict of the motor...) Rube Goldberg has got nuthin' on me!
I wonder if I can re-do this into the holder style you used...
Grinder mode, before I got the Dumore. Actually worked out for finish grinding the ends of 1/2" Dia. rods to size. (NOT with that wheel...)
Thanks for looking!
i didn't think to make extras, but i should! :grin:
nice work!
i should steal your idea :)

Great ideas folks. Could anyone give me the bearing numbers?
My BXA sized boring bar holder is for 3/4'' bars. The i.d. of your bearings seems to be 3/8''. Is that the largest I.D. available?
Thanks for your help.

Great ideas folks. Could anyone give me the bearing numbers?
My BXA sized boring bar holder is for 3/4'' bars. The i.d. of your bearings seems to be 3/8''. Is that the largest I.D. available?
Thanks for your help.
Hi Tozguy,

I used R4 bearings 5/8" OD x 1/4" ID x .196" thick

you may be able to use R4a bearings their dimensions are 3/4" OD X 1/4" ID X .281" wide

you may be able to work with a 6800 metric bearing 19mm OD X 10mm ID X 5mm wide (but the OD will be slightly smaller than 3/4")

these are surprisingly useful. I made one ages back as more of a practice in making dovetails and I've used it far more than I would have expected. My lathe (Atlas 618) also has an indexer built into the bull gear, so I can use the lathe like a dividing head (sort of) for doing bolt circles :)

You are very welcome!
i'd like to see your version ! :grin:

Could not find any ball bearings of the size I wanted (minimum 3/8ths. shaft). so had a look at needle bearings. Then realized that bushings should work. So went that route, cost of $4 for two .75/.50 x .75 porous bushings.

Had great enjoyment from getting things concentric with minimum clearances. Realized that the bushings are 'compressible' ie. the bushing/shaft clearance can be reduced by torquing the two clamp screws in the BXA holder.

IMG_0343.JPG

IMG_0342.JPG

Last edited:
Cross Drilling Fixture from an AXA Boring Tool Holder!
i had an idea to make a cross drilling fixture for my shenwai 1236 lathes' AXA clone toolpost.
View attachment 187318

i machined the shaft from 3/8" 12L14 hex shaft and single point threaded the drill chuck end to 3/8-24 to accept an old but new Jacobs short 1/4" capacity chuck.

View attachment 187320
i left just enough of the hex so that i can put a 3/8" wrench on the spindle to remove the drillchuck
the shaft is supported by 2 mini bearings, one inboard, one out board.

View attachment 187324

View attachment 187331
the clamping action of the sleeve in the boring bar holder is sufficient to keep the shaft in place during the cross drilling operations.

View attachment 187333

View attachment 187334

View attachment 187335

an old 19.2 craftsman drill is powering the works.:grin:
estimated total project cost= under $5 (i had everything on hand and had to assign a nominal cost:cool 2:)
thanks for looking!

You should patent that

Could not find any ball bearings of the size I wanted (minimum 3/8ths. shaft). so had a look at needle bearings. Then realized that bushings should work. So went that route, cost of $4 for two .75/.50 x .75 porous bushings.

Had great enjoyment from getting things concentric with minimum clearances. Realized that the bushings are 'compressible' ie. the bushing/shaft clearance can be reduced by torquing the two cinch screws in the BXA holder.

that's what I did too, works fine for me. I added a small oiling port in the holder I made, sealed with a set screw, to add some oil every now and then.

Back