Shop Made Diamond Tool Sharpener

Ulma Doctor

Infinitely Curious
H-M Platinum Supporter
Good job, looks very practical !

You may have just shamed me into completing the same project. I've had the wheel and the motor laying on a work bench for at least six months. I even made a CAD sketch of the design however I somehow lost the sketch on this laptop, which gave me a great excuse for dragging my feet :(

No More Excuses Randy!!!!, i didn't even touch my magic computer box for this build other than sourcing parts and writing my spiel

Carpe Diem :D
or Carpe Vino if you prefer!!!

JimDawson

Global Moderator
Staff member
H-M Lifetime Diamond Member
No More Excuses Randy!!!!, i didn't even touch my magic computer box for this build other than sourcing parts and writing my spiel

Carpe Diem :D
or Carpe Vino if you prefer!!!

I just do what the little voices tell me to do, sounds like you have the same voices. :alien: Who needs the computer thingy.

Ulma Doctor

Infinitely Curious
H-M Platinum Supporter
I just do what the little voices tell me to do, sounds like you have the same voices. :alien: Who needs the computer thingy.

Lol,
The "voices" tell me to do lots of things, i just do what sounds plausible.
i can get pretty ridiculous sometimes, daydreaming .

the computer is a useful tool, but try not to rely on it fully.
there may be a time, where a pencil and paper and a brain will be the computer again.:tranquility:

mattthemuppet2

H-M Supporter - Gold Member
H-M Supporter Gold Member
looking good Mike, but I sure would be able to see the grinder more clearly with some decent LED lights to help with the photos, nudge nudge :D

Ulma Doctor

Infinitely Curious
H-M Platinum Supporter
looking good Mike, but I sure would be able to see the grinder more clearly with some decent LED lights to help with the photos, nudge nudge :D

you have an excellent point! thanks for the reminder!!!:p

randyc

Active User
Registered
No More Excuses Randy!!!!.....

Ulma Doctor, I'm curious about what speed you are running the wheel. According to the link below, 5,000 - 6,000 SFPM is appropriate for diamond on carbide ... My little motor is 3,000 RPM which gives me just a bit over 3,000 SFPM with the 4 inch cup wheel. That's too low according to the link, but I already had the motor so I'll live with it :)

Would like to know what you ended up with and how it works although obviously you can't yet comment on wheel life, LOL. Muchas gracias !

http://www.diamondtooling.com/article_wheel_operation_01.html

Ulma Doctor

Infinitely Curious
H-M Platinum Supporter
Hi Randy,
i have used glendo and accufinish sharpeners.
in operation,their wheels turn slowly, i'm just copying the idea.

i surmise the high SFM's in the link are for flooded cooling ,
i'll be applying squirts of windex.

i can't tell the glendo or accu finish's wheel's exact RPM by eye,
but, i'd put it somewhere between 300 and 500 RPM- if i were to guess.

this set up may not be suitable to sharpen endmills and other exotic endeavours.
it's being designed on the go primarily , for honing my carbide scrapers and lathe tooling .

de nada, amigo!

Last edited:

Wes

Registered
Registered
Thank you brino, i hope you get something form the ramblings!:D

Thank you ARKnack, i got an itch that is beggin' to be scratched!

You are very kind Wes, i'll try an insert a video of the working model upon completion.
thanks for reading!!

Awesome ! Looking forward to it!

18w

Active User
Registered
I have a baldor carbide grinder. It is rated at 3450 rpm with 6" wheels. I have a diamond wheel on one side and a silicon carbide on the other. It is a great machine for grinding. I think both of yours will work just great as a final finishing machine, something the baldor is not. After all, lots of folks including myself, use diamond hand laps for a final finish and I know my arm doesn't generate a high sfpm. :grin big::grin big::grin big:
I really like both Mike and Randy's ideas for a slower speed finishing grinder.

Darrell

It can take up to an hour for ads to appear on the page. See our code implementation guide for more details. If you already have Auto ad code on your pages there's no need to replace it with this code
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock