Shop Made Diamond Tool Sharpener

Ulma Doctor

Infinitely Curious
Registered
I have been contemplating making a diamond tool sharpener to hone carbide lathe bits and carbide scraper blades.
I would like a Glendo or an Accu-finish sharpening system,
but wouldn't use it enough to justify it's expense.
Even on the used market they are several hundred bucks if you are lucky enough to find a used one.
i have been loosely doodling with the idea for a while now
Well, today i did something about it!
gstWsvVUoUQMrepI6acrr4Nvp7Ce0tOpo4X7daabBpc=w716-h427-no.jpg

i had a 115 Vac, 300 rpm gearmotor that was salvaged years ago from a conveyor system.
i also had a spare footswitch that i bought form ebay a couple years ago very cheap.

this link's for a person interested in adding a decent footswitch that isn't a pocket killer:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/TEMCo-Heavy...259?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item5d3b00b3a3

A month ago, i got a diamond wheel from ebay,
(http://www.ebay.com/itm/75-Concentration-600-Grit-Resin-Bond-Bowl-Shape-Diamond-Coated-Grinding-Wheel/391104426627?_trksid=p2047675.c100011.m1850&_trkparms=aid=222007&algo=SIC.MBE&ao=1&asc=29005&meid=881f1b00eb194373b35184cd97685bec&pid=100011&rk=1&rkt=4&sd=321175099678)
and contemplated how to put it to work.
an angle grinder spins way too fast for honing carbide, so that was out.

after a few beers yesterday,
:drink:(not drunk while working in the shop BTW ;))
i started thinking about the plan to integrate a footswitch, power unit, diamond wheel & shop made hub, and an adjustable- pivoting table for setting different angles.

i came up with a simple design
(plagiarized shamelessly from other machine tools i have seen-i may add),
that will use a bunch of reclaimed parts.

Qr2fsm0yvuPXVcGaygDgC7F4Oo-Aufvrn3AFp2Q-s4Y=w640-h614-no.jpg

In the picture above,
i turned a stepped mounting hub for the 4" (100mm) cup type grinder wheel and an end cap from 1.5" delrin
i drilled and tapped the gearmotors shaft for a #10-32 the end of the shaft and turned a stepped cap to retain the grinding wheel and added a set screw to hold the hub to the driveshaft.

aC7GU3O4m8-pR62biQeUsEmq58H7qVroif3MGHP4-eE=w618-h415-no.jpg
heres a top view.
Lucky for me the pre-made mounting bracket will serve as the mount to it's platform, no fuss on my part!

The power unit has been assembled and tested on a few pieces.
there is very little discernable runout upon testing , which will result in a nice degree of accuracy!

coming in part 2: the adjustable table assembly's construction!
thanks for reading!

Looks like a cool project, and relatively inexpensive to boot!!

Thanks Jim!
i'm trying to see how inexpensively i can pull this one off ,
to show that with a little imagination,
a little time, and a few select materials,
a will, and belief that things can be done simply-effectively ,and inexpensively .
i hope the thread inspires others to pull the same kind of things (and much better) from their imagination! :grin:

Hey Ulma,

That's a great creed to live and design by.
I will be following your journey.

Thanks for sharing.
-brino

Looks like an interesting project. I hope you can finish your projects must faster the I. :encourage:

Excellent reuse of random parts! You must have some Yankee Ingenuity in your blood. I don't see any flaking on it?

Very impresive! I like that sort of effective, yet not expensive add ins to home workshop.
Thanks for posting. Appreciate it and will follow with the bits I have in my junk to get similar results.

Excellent reuse of random parts! You must have some Yankee Ingenuity in your blood. I don't see any flaking on it?

Thanks Chips,
my dad's dad, was the consummate tinkerer.
his workshop, modest tools & tooling and early teachings molded my future in no small way.
i believe he'd be proud of what he started!

LOL, just because you don't see any flaking yet,
that doesn't mean there won't be any flaking on it when it's done....:grin:

thanks everyone for reading and responding,
questions and comments are always welcomed!

I have been contemplating making a diamond tool sharpener to hone carbide lathe bits and carbide scraper blades......

Good job, looks very practical !

You may have just shamed me into completing the same project. I've had the wheel and the motor laying on a work bench for at least six months. I even made a CAD sketch of the design however I somehow lost the sketch on this laptop, which gave me a great excuse for dragging my feet :(

P1050025.JPG

Hey Ulma,

That's a great creed to live and design by.
I will be following your journey.

Thanks for sharing.
-brino

Thank you brino, i hope you get something form the ramblings!:D

Looks like an interesting project. I hope you can finish your projects must faster the I. :encourage:

Thank you ARKnack, i got an itch that is beggin' to be scratched!

Very impresive! I like that sort of effective, yet not expensive add ins to home workshop.
Thanks for posting. Appreciate it and will follow with the bits I have in my junk to get similar results.

You are very kind Wes, i'll try an insert a video of the working model upon completion.
thanks for reading!!

Back