Shop Made Diamond Tool Sharpener

Good job, looks very practical !

You may have just shamed me into completing the same project. I've had the wheel and the motor laying on a work bench for at least six months. I even made a CAD sketch of the design however I somehow lost the sketch on this laptop, which gave me a great excuse for dragging my feet :(

No More Excuses Randy!!!!, i didn't even touch my magic computer box for this build other than sourcing parts and writing my spiel

Carpe Diem :D
or Carpe Vino if you prefer!!!

No More Excuses Randy!!!!, i didn't even touch my magic computer box for this build other than sourcing parts and writing my spiel

Carpe Diem :D
or Carpe Vino if you prefer!!!

I just do what the little voices tell me to do, sounds like you have the same voices. :alien: Who needs the computer thingy.

I just do what the little voices tell me to do, sounds like you have the same voices. :alien: Who needs the computer thingy.

Lol,
The "voices" tell me to do lots of things, i just do what sounds plausible.
i can get pretty ridiculous sometimes, daydreaming .

the computer is a useful tool, but try not to rely on it fully.
there may be a time, where a pencil and paper and a brain will be the computer again.:tranquility:

looking good Mike, but I sure would be able to see the grinder more clearly with some decent LED lights to help with the photos, nudge nudge :D

No More Excuses Randy!!!!.....

Ulma Doctor, I'm curious about what speed you are running the wheel. According to the link below, 5,000 - 6,000 SFPM is appropriate for diamond on carbide ... My little motor is 3,000 RPM which gives me just a bit over 3,000 SFPM with the 4 inch cup wheel. That's too low according to the link, but I already had the motor so I'll live with it :)

Would like to know what you ended up with and how it works although obviously you can't yet comment on wheel life, LOL. Muchas gracias !

http://www.diamondtooling.com/article_wheel_operation_01.html

Hi Randy,
i have used glendo and accufinish sharpeners.
in operation,their wheels turn slowly, i'm just copying the idea.

i surmise the high SFM's in the link are for flooded cooling ,
i'll be applying squirts of windex.

i can't tell the glendo or accu finish's wheel's exact RPM by eye,
but, i'd put it somewhere between 300 and 500 RPM- if i were to guess.

this set up may not be suitable to sharpen endmills and other exotic endeavours.
it's being designed on the go primarily , for honing my carbide scrapers and lathe tooling .

de nada, amigo!

Last edited:
Thank you brino, i hope you get something form the ramblings!:D

Thank you ARKnack, i got an itch that is beggin' to be scratched!

You are very kind Wes, i'll try an insert a video of the working model upon completion.
thanks for reading!!

Awesome ! Looking forward to it!

I have a baldor carbide grinder. It is rated at 3450 rpm with 6" wheels. I have a diamond wheel on one side and a silicon carbide on the other. It is a great machine for grinding. I think both of yours will work just great as a final finishing machine, something the baldor is not. After all, lots of folks including myself, use diamond hand laps for a final finish and I know my arm doesn't generate a high sfpm. :grin big::grin big::grin big:
I really like both Mike and Randy's ideas for a slower speed finishing grinder.

Darrell

Back