shop made gear

This is the sort of wear that happens when EP (extreme pressure ) lubricants are used with bronze worm gears, the lube corrodes the surface and the worm wears off the corrosion in a continuous process; EP lubes should NEVER be used with bronze worm gears; of course, I do not know that is what happened in this case, but it is familiar look/ failure. If only someone spoke Portuguese, we could ask ---

This is the sort of wear that happens when EP (extreme pressure ) lubricants are used with bronze worm gears, the lube corrodes the surface and the worm wears off the corrosion in a continuous process; EP lubes should NEVER be used with bronze worm gears; of course, I do not know that is what happened in this case, but it is familiar look/ failure. If only someone spoke Portuguese, we could ask ---

John,

Thanks for the explanation on EP lubricants with bronze gears.... very interesting.

Also, this shows what is possible in a pinch. The only shortcoming is that the hob is not relieved, hence the slurry of bronze goop; if it was relieved, even with a file, it would cut rather than just abrade the bronze. This process of gashing the blank and hobbing by allowing the blank to freely rotate is shown In Brown & Sharpe's publication "Practical Treatise on Milling and Milling Machines". In production, it would be done on a hobbing machine, where the hob and blank are geared together, and the hob can have sufficient clearance to cut freely.

the saw was used every day for 1 year. The oil recommended by the manufacturer was used in the reduction box. I believe it is natural wear and tear from overuse. (Sorry my English is not so good)

grettings from Brazil
Celso Ari

Many modern EP lubes are brass and bronze friendly. Always a good idea to make sure though.
Great job on the gear!

I forgot- is it the phosphorous that kills bronze? or sulfur? Senior moment

Back