Shop made, homemade drill press.

It will move as the weld is cut so watch it.

Another way to straighten is how auto cams and cranks are done and not with a press.

You place between centers and find low spot.

Next get SMALL hammer and a chizel and get ready as this seems backwards....Ww did this in an engine shop and brain fights it....

Place low spot UP... Or high spot down whatever makes sense and take chizel and place on top of shaft in middle of weld and a few gentle taps and rotate shaft a bit to form an arc.

Your brain thinks taping towards bend will bend more but the chizel relieves stresses and that side gets wider thus shaft moves TOWARDS the chizel.

This was done on bent cams and welded cranks to straighten before grinding.

Bending by force will move a bunch when machined and bending by stress relief also moves but not as much.

It does take time and be gentle

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337Z using Tapatalk

Lately i've had very little free time but i've managed to spend some time on the lathe and managed to turn down the weld, took it slow and steady, 80 RPM 0,5 mm cut, i'm getting lot of taper, probably because of the slip joint and have to adjust my study rest to make it straight but run out of time for today.
DSC_0002.JPG
DSC_0004.JPG
DSC_0007.JPG
DSC_0008.JPG
DSC_0011.JPG

Today i continued machining the shaft, i removed the taper by adjusting the study rest, then i had to move the study rest behind the tool post then i machined the other weld also cut down the taper to clean up the discoloration from welding, when the shaft cooled down the back bearing journals shrank and became slip fit and i wanted them press fit, so i did aggressive Knurling now is back to size, now i need to find couple of securing clips and cut groves for them, its cumming along slowly.
DSC_0002.JPG
DSC_0005.JPG
DSC_0006.JPG
DSC_0010.JPG
DSC_0011.JPG
DSC_0013.JPG

I'm planning to run 6006 bearings, on this build, they are readily available and good size, i had couple of 6006 no name bearings but wanted to use good quality bearings, so i bought those KBS made in kentucky USA bearings, i prefer made in germany bearings, but i was assured those are top quality, now i can measure and plan where to cut the securing clip grooves, also today i bought this belt pulley with this heavy duty support bearing, i may use it if i can cut some of the belt groves smaller so i can have two belts and more gears.
DSC_0004.JPG
DSC_0005.JPG
DSC_0007.JPG

Today i managed to find couple of securing clips, unfortunately i only find the round wire type, but they should work, i decided to place the bearings at 270 mm apart, and 80 mm apart on the upper spindle, hand grounded an HSS tool to make the grooves radius to match the securing clips i'm having hard time finding pipe with an 55 mm or smaller inner bore, and machining one from a solid piece is too costly, i found one piece right size but its rusty and has many welds , i may try to machine it and see if it cleans up well enough to be used.
DSC_0004.JPG

Today i decided to try cleaning the pipe i had, i had no luck finding a new of the right size, started with a brazed cutter but was getting lot of tool pressure, so i switched to a carbide insert tool, cut down half way thru the welds, but had to go, i had couple of things to do, i may be back in the machine shop to finish this pipe.
DSC_0002.JPG
DSC_0003.JPG

This is going to be a beastly and beautiful tool Goce. Beastly as in tough.
Good work, and thank you for letting us follow along your build. :beer:

Quick little update, i spent some more time on this pipe and managed to clean it up, i know before i begin, i'll need to weld up couple spots, now i'm at 60,6 mm so after welding i'll have some material to make it smooth and straight at a round number of 60 mm, i'll do the welding tomorrow and i'll update then.
DSC_0005.JPG
DSC_0006.JPG

This morning i managed to weld up the rusted areas, on the pipe, took couple of photos, this is the same way i fix worn down shafts, the pipe was really thin in one area, this piece of pipe came out of an rear axle from a first gen mazda rx7.
DSC_0001.JPG
DSC_0003.JPG
DSC_0006.JPG

The work continues, it took some time but i managed to turn down the weld, there are couple of holes, but is much better than before and the surface is good enough for slip fit, tomorrow i need to cut the bearing slots and their retaining groves and come up with some way to make or find a gear rack.
DSC_0003.JPG
DSC_0005.JPG
DSC_0008.JPG
DSC_0012.JPG

Back