[4]

Shop made, homemade drill press.

[3]
[10] Like what you see?
Click here to donate to this forum and upgrade your account!

GoceKU

Brass
Registered
Today i spend some time welding on the base for the drill press, i'm using thick solid pieces for strength, and plan to use that i beam at the back, i welded until i run out of shielding gas, i'll exchange the gas bottle tonight so i'll have it ready for whenever i have free time to continue.
DSC_0001.JPG
DSC_0002.JPG
DSC_0004.JPG

GoceKU

Brass
Registered
Today i continued with welding and murphy's law struct, my welder run out or welding wire but i did managed to finish one side and make some progress on the other, also cut and clean up the I beam for the back of the base, i'm considering filling up the pipe with concrete because is the tiniest part of this construction at 4 mm wall thickness, tomorrow i'll buy new roll of wire and continue welding, more to come.
DSC_0001.JPG
DSC_0004.JPG

GoceKU

Brass
Registered
Today started with a thought i'll do little machining and little welding but the machining took me lately half a day, first i switched my chuck jaws and install my study rest it had an small center hole but was off center, i drill a big one and removed the study rest, then i mounted the 40kg piece by hand then i began making cuts and quickly found that is hard as hell probably is AR500 and being double interrupted cut mean i have to slow it down to 63 RPM and increase the feed it totally destroyed two cutting edges on the old insert then i changed it for a new sandvik and by the time i was done i used 3 cutting edges on it, on the last pictures you can see on the left i started to cut on step for the belt pulley, i need to have the pulleys ready to continue with mounting the head motor and other pieces.
DSC_0002.JPG
DSC_0004.JPG
DSC_0011.JPG
DSC_0025.JPG
DSC_0026.JPG
DSC_0028.JPG
DSC_0038.JPG

Last edited:

GoceKU

Brass
Registered
Today i continued with machining on the pulleys, first i finish the left side then i used the newly acquired cutter to finish the right side, then i needed to part off the excess, i don't know exactly what this material is, i'm assuming is AR500 but the HSS cutting tool won't even scratch it, so i had to use my carbide insert tool and in the start it chartered excessively but was able to go deep enough where i could drill the end and get the end part off, then i faced this side so i can chuck it flat later, than i measured and marked where to part it off next, and parted it i'll leave the other side for parting off later because i may need to leave more material for one more belt grove, then i removed the study rest and the part from the chuck i need to clean the the lathe my chip pan is getting full, more to come.
DSC_0001.JPG
DSC_0006.JPG
DSC_0007.JPG
DSC_0011.JPG
DSC_0014.JPG
DSC_0016.JPG
DSC_0017.JPG

GoceKU

Brass
Registered
Today i continued with machining the first pulley first i face it off and started drilling it, this material is incredibly hard i've destroyed 3-4 drill bits but i managed to drill it out to 29mm and will finish with a boring bar tomorrow, i had to slow the lathe down to 12,5 rpm for the 29mm drill the AR500 is some hard staff.
DSC_0002.JPG
DSC_0003.JPG
DSC_0006.JPG

GoceKU

Brass
Registered
Today i took a full day to work in the big garage to catch up on some of my projects, most of the time i spent welding the base of the drill press, i did managed to weld it fully and close the pipe, and installed a cable sleeve now is ready to be filled with concrete, i'm considering filling the base pipes as well, other thing i finished is drilled and cut the cams for the work table, i still need to check them for final size and grind accordingly, more to come.
DSC_0011.JPG
DSC_0017.JPG
DSC_0018.JPG
DSC_0008.JPG
DSC_0012.JPG

GoceKU

Brass
Registered
Had an hour to spare so i did some more machining on the pulley, try boring it with a smaller brazed bar with no success the bar isn't regret enfant, then i switched to my insert tool boring bar, after one pass the AR500 material absolutely destroyed the insert, so i changed it for an sandvik one and finish the bore, then i changed the jaws and chucked it and cut and relief to register the fly wheel i plan to use for the slowest speed, i made it so perfect that hold the fly wheel to the pulley on the 1 mm lip by itself, more to come.
DSC_0002.JPG
DSC_0004.JPG
DSC_0005.JPG

GoceKU

Brass
Registered
I've been spending less and less time on my projects, basically because i've got a third job after hours trying to make money when i'm young has left me with no free time, but today i had to prime couple of metal pieces so i quickly premered the drill press base, it's only premer gray but i rely like the way it looks, so i like some advice do i paint it green like my lathe or black or just clear it in the gray.
DSC_0001.JPG
DSC_0002.JPG
DSC_0003.JPG

bmac2

Registered
The green to match your lathe would be fine but I vote for the gray. It’s got a nice industrial look to it.

I’m really enjoying this build. I work with so many people that can’t change a lightbulb without their smart phones.

Silverbullet

Gold
Registered
Coming together , something to be proud of for sure . The big chunk of steel is that Jack hammer bit from a back hoe. I have one that broken out in the shop looks like it. Good hunk of steel isn't it .

GoceKU

Brass
Registered
Coming together , something to be proud of for sure . The big chunk of steel is that Jack hammer bit from a back hoe. I have one that broken out in the shop looks like it. Good hunk of steel isn't it .
Yes it's from an digger jackhammer used for leveling down houses, its quite hard stuff, HSS doesn't cut it at all.

GoceKU

Brass
Registered
It's been over a week since i've done any work on this project, getting ready for winter and my jobs are keeping me really busy, but today thought i had half an hour to spare so i started on the column clamps for the table and a limiting clamp, i used some thick wall tubing, and need to weld some square stock at the ends to be able to clamp, i'm debating should i use screws with handles, or should i use alen bolts and have a alen key near by ?
DSC_0002.JPG

GoceKU

Brass
Registered
Today i was in the garage welding so i did some work on this project also, first thing i did is to find a piece to weld to the slave i made last time, i did lots of graining on the edges to get decent penetration and welded it on, then i moved on the drill table holder, i welded all three detents, then i moved to another project, more to come.
DSC_0062.JPG
DSC_0064.JPG
DSC_0056.JPG
DSC_0058.JPG

Bi11Hudson

Artificer00
H-M Supporter - Gold Member ($25)
Nothing of value to contribute but know that I highly approve. To build a viable machine of any type and do it essentially from nothing but scrap is the mark of a true "artificer".

I would like to pass on a chuckle if I may..... (This can be deleted if you find it offensive) I had the pleasure to work with an older electronics repairman in a steel mill for several years. He was a first generation Puerto Rican and very good at his job. Also a good friend to me personally. He referred to a mill file as a Puerto Rican milling machine. I found the reference amusing once he put it in perspective. In his home city, young men did what was necessary to keep an automotive engine running. They didn't have access to machine tools but got the job done anyway. For this, I complement them no end.

And to you, Sir, I also complement for building what you need with what you can lay your hands on. And would volunteer some parts if it were a smaller project. That big, though, I'll just have to watch and comment. I realize I found this a little late but still find it worthy of comment.

Bill Hudson​

GoceKU

Brass
Registered
Thank you Bill, i fully understand what you mean, my situation ain't like that, i appreciate a good challenge and before i started my third job i had some free time so i started a bunch of projects to challenge myself, i do some work on all of them but now i have very little free time, in fact i average 3-4 hours sleep during the week, no worries i'll be back to do some work on the base early next month.

late last night i did some work on the chop saw i'm building, link: https://www.hobby-machinist.com/threads/shop-build-beast-of-a-chop-saw.66035/

Goce​

GoceKU

Brass
Registered
This build got sidetracked little because of 6-70 hours overtime a week i've been working for the last few mounts, but today i may have bought a piece that would save me lots of time and make this build much simpler, i bought this MT2 DUSS DUAX 4 speed drill 1250W, i spent lots of time, money and materials on building my own spindle and pulleys which i'll keep and maybe put them together for a second head for this drill press when i have more time and need, i always intended for this build to have the capability to run low speed high torque for larger holes and i may end up buying a bench top drill press for the smaller stuff.
DSC_0303.JPG
DSC_0305.JPG
DSC_0308.JPG

Joe in Oz

Active User
Registered
That Duss drill is a brilliant drill! Worth a fortune!
I have one and use it a lot attached to a magnetic stand. NOTHING will stop it.
Oh, mine is a similar model to yours from the early 1970s. Duss still has EVERY part as spares!!!! (I contacted them)

GoceKU

Brass
Registered
That Duss drill is a brilliant drill! Worth a fortune!
I have one and use it a lot attached to a magnetic stand. NOTHING will stop it.
Oh, mine is a similar model to yours from the early 1970s. Duss still has EVERY part as spares!!!! (I contacted them)
I have only good experience with german tools particularly Duss, i've never had one fail on me, i found this brochure for my drill , surprising how expensive it is, i'll keep my eye open for more on the tool market.
s-l1600.jpg

brino

Active User
H-M Platinum Supporter ($50)
So wait, how did we make the jump from "Duax" to "Duss"?
Is it a language thing, or regional knowledge?
Or you guys just know your tools?

Thanks for any clarifications!
-brino

GoceKU

Brass
Registered
Duss is the manufacture, Duax is the model, the drill has both names on it, my label is little dirty, here is another one from the net you can more clearly see the DUSS in red.
s-l1600 (1).jpg

KBeitz

H-M Supporter - Gold Member
Guess i live in a different world. I have over 20 drill presses and I see around one a week that come in to our local junkyard. If you was closer I would give you one.

Superburban

H-M Supporter - Gold Member
If he was closer, I would trade him a drill press for that hand drill.

GoceKU

Brass
Registered
and I see around one a week that come in to our local junkyard
It's a very different story here, my country is very young and machinery is hard to come by, the old machinist that own them, price them like they are made of gold, we have tool/flea market that some old machines are imported from germany and are sold but drill presses because of their size are not brought.

[6]
[5] [7]