Shop made, homemade drill press.

GoceKU

Registered
Registered
After months looking at drill presses i've decided to build my own from scratch, no sense paying couple hundred euros for a rusty piece of pipe and a head casting, all the quills are damaged beyond repair, i'm still looking and will be doing this build with parts i have laying around, i've started with making the inner shaft of the quill, started with and old mose MT5 to MT4 reduce, it was ding up on the outside but the inner taper is in perfect shape, this will allow me to use all my lathe chucks and taper drill bits, i chunk up the taper in my lathe and turn down and threaded M16, some of you can recognise
DSC_0008.JPG
DSC_0004.JPG
DSC_0005.JPG
DSC_0007.JPG
the sliding spindle as a steering wheel column shaft from a VW golf, i don't own a mill so i could not make this part on my own, that's why i'm making like this, welded the two parts together, i'll have couple more parts to make for this part and weld to it before i machine it all at once to insure the spindle will turn straight, this is not the only project i have in the works, ill try to update it daily hope you like it and follow it.

I will be following your progress. I love shop made tools.

I always enjoy seeing how others solve their DIY projects.
It's an area where I've mostly been poor at.

Last night i spent some time on the lathe, first i had to drill out a piece of 32 mm C45 because i could not find a pipe of the appropriate size and from the same 32 mm price i machined an extension for where the pulley will attach, i'm sure it's hard understand what this piece is and what it will do, first picture explains it good, more to come.
DSC_0026.JPG
DSC_0020.JPG
DSC_0022.JPG
DSC_0024.JPG

Today i managed to weld the pieces i machined yesterday, left it to cool down slowly, as last i mounted the shaft in the lathe, and mounted indicator to check and the shaft has moved about 2 mm i'll have to straighten it before i turn it in the lathe.
DSC_0010.JPG
DSC_0003.JPG
DSC_0004.JPG
DSC_0005.JPG
DSC_0006.JPG

Today i run in my first roadblock on this project, i was expecting for the bar to move around when welded but it seems it move about 3 mm on one weld and 2,3 mm in other, i tried with a car jack to straighten it but no success, tomorrow i'll try to straightening it on my press but i don't have much hope, last time i used my press i managed to twist the frame in a pretzel and the bridge in a half moon, more to come.
DSC_0002.JPG

Try heating and quick cooling on the high spots , Keith Fenner style. Ck his YouTube

I'm subscribed to Keith Fenner, i've seen the demonstration he was giving at the summer bash, not sure that will work on 35mm weld, with 3mm bend.

Are you sure that is the high/low spot of the bend? Your set-up to straighten is clever. But in looking at it closer, I think the weakest part or the first to bend is at the chuck arbor where it is the smallest diameter. Not sure if your live center can take that kind of side thrust/load? To straighten a shaft correctly is an art. Please be safe…Dave

Last edited:
This setup was only temporary, at first i thought the bend is in the middle on the weakest part, but it turns out different, i appreciate your concern about the live center , dont worry, its russian made heavy duty, i've turned massive shaft on it without problems, and i wasn't putting that much pressure with the jack.

Back