Shop made, homemade drill press.

Great work!!
Have you seen the Gingery books?
They might be helpful should you decide to build other machine tools.

Daryl
MN

I haven't seen Gingery books, I've welded it with a mig welder, but at the end spot weld all the holes thats why looks like that.

Today i had very little free time i did managed to marked where are high point and tried strengthening on my destroyed press and it moved, so with some more work i'm confident i'll get it close enough to be able to machine it straight, i attach couple of picture, you can see how the bar managed to move under max pressure, (25t).
DSC_0001.JPG
DSC_0002.JPG
DSC_0003.JPG

I love homemade tools. Bravo.
Do as Michelangelo- Envision the straight shaft inside that bent one and keep removing steel until the straight part appears! :laughing:

ok, I'll follow this one. Do you really think you can make a drill press cheaper that just buying a vintage one and replacing bushings/bearings? Or is this just more of a challenge and journey?

Steve S, i live in a small country our infrastructure is very different, here we do not have very old machines, probably late 60's the oldest and the old timers who own them price them like they are made of gold, i've been looking for an affordable one for more than 7 months and all i've found is absolutely destroyed, robbed from the vital parts pieces of scrap wich ware still couple of hundred euros, decided to give it a go, i do like a good challenge, and making complicated parts with only a lathe, welder and grinder, should be challenging.

Just returned from a trip abroad. Inginuity is the mother of invention. Made several repairs without the "proper" tools/parts, you work with what is available.

GoceKU you seem to be well tooled up. I have no doubt success will be reached, this will be fun to watch. I realize it will be tough and frustrating for you but I'm sure a lot of us will enjoy your build

I would love to know what comes next before you attempt, maybe we could offer some alternative solutions. Best of luck

Today i managed to straighten the shaft to about 1 mm rondout, should be straight enafth to be able to turn it down on the lathe the the final bearing size, i did mount it and tried to cut the high spots on the weld, but because of the slip joint is flexing so i'll use my study rest and will take light cuts.
DSC_0004.JPG
DSC_0003.JPG

Back