Shop made, homemade drill press.

I cant wait to see the finished machine.
I love this build.

This morning i had some free time so i managed to finish the shaft to size, also drill and tap the end, now is ready to be turn around and the face cut flat, may do one more update tonight if i do any more machining.
DSC_0001.JPG

I managed to do little more machining on this flywheel, i did finish the outside diameter, it had a step for the starter gear, i made a two passes on the face but i quickly find out the fly wheel is cast iron and not cast seel, i did a spark test before i weld it, it welded normally, if i known i wouldn't use it, i run out time tonight also my insert chipped, tomorrow i'll change the carbide insert and continue.
DSC_0001.JPG

Today i continued with machining the work table, started with light cuts to allow the new insert and machine to come up to temperature, it turn out good, i'm thinking maybe i should cut circles at 50 mm increments to help with aligning the parts for drilling, also whale it was turning i oiled it to prevent it from flash rusting, tonight Real Madrid vs Man United are playing in the city next to me, so i'll be there watching.
DSC_0004.JPG
DSC_0008.JPG
DSC_0013.JPG
DSC_0014.JPG

Today i decided to make the spring loaded detents for the rotary work table i did not take many pictures then machining them but i can tell you they took me couple of hours on the lathe, i drill and cut the channels by hand with a grinder, it's hard to explain what will they do but it will become clear once i put it together.
DSC_0002.JPG
DSC_0003.JPG
DSC_0007.JPG
DSC_0010.JPG

Today i continued working on the drill table, started again with a scrap piece of axle housing first i cut the ends flat then clean the outside so my study rest can roll on it, then i bore out the inside 55 mm lower side is bored much more deep for the index plates, i'm using 6006 bearings , i do love my study rest, it's so sturdy i can take 0,1 mm cuts and ti measures exactly 0,1 mm the accuracy of this lathe even after 45 years of hard use is unbelievable.
DSC_0002.JPG
DSC_0004.JPG
DSC_0006.JPG
DSC_0008.JPG
DSC_0009.JPG

This night i had some free time so i started on the dividing plates, started with 60 mm piece of 4140 i drill it out to 29 mm, and need to bore it out to 30 mm, then i cut down the outside diameter to 54 mm i left 1 mm clearance, tomorrow i'll continue, the simplest way to explain i'm making this dividing table like tumblers on a safe lock.
DSC_0002.JPG
DSC_0004.JPG
DSC_0006.JPG

Today i had very little free time to spend so i spend it wisely, first i press in the bearings in the work table housing so i can measure how wide to make the dividing plates, after that i got back to the machine shop and started by boring the inside diameter to final dimension, the boring bar i was using did not reach to the bottom of the bore so when i flip it around, had to go back and bore the last 12 mm, then i parted the plates at 21 mm wide now i need mark and cut the dividing groves, more to come.
DSC_0002.JPG
DSC_0003.JPG
DSC_0010.JPG

Quick little update, i mark and center drilled all 3 plates, and drill starter hole, and tried drilling to size on one, i used one clamp to hold them, i don't have a drill press vice, more to come.
DSC_0002.JPG
DSC_0004.JPG

Last couple of weeks i've been extremely busy so much so i've been getting only 3h sleep every day, but finally today had an hour free, so i continue on the work table, chuck it up and cut couple of lines at 100 mm and every 50 mm bigger, i use a dial indicator to measure them and they are very accurate, than i drill and tap the center co be able to tread in a bolt in the chuck and use it to set the head in the centre of the table, then i changed the chuck jaws and took couple thousands to make it slide fit instead of press fit, then i testfit the housing and in the last picture you can see where the cam plates will go, more to come.
DSC_0001.JPG
DSC_0003.JPG
DSC_0004.JPG
DSC_0005.JPG
DSC_0007.JPG
DSC_0009.JPG
DSC_0013.JPG
DSC_0014.JPG

Back